http://www.diveheart.org/

Help Save the Sea Turtles of Bocas del Toro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't ever recall being as angry as I was today. It turns out that a Colombian version of the crappy reality show Survivor is being filmed on our little island. Unfortunately the production company got a permit (illegally according to Panamanian law) to build their sets on one of the largest sea turtle nesting beaches in Panama. I have been involved in sea turtle conservation for over twenty years, but I have never seen such blatant disregard for these endangered species.

I am trying to get the word out, am appealing to the local and national governments, contacting the media, and spreading the word through Facebook and other social networking sites.

This is a note I have on my FB profile which details some of the issues we are facing:

Today a few members of our community were asked to leave one of our local beaches. Were they nude sunbathing? No. Were they intoxicated? No. These residents stumbled upon the set of of the Colombian version of the popular TV show Survivor. They we asked by the foreman to leave because they had a permit to build on the beach. This is disturbing because:

1. All beaches in Panama belong to the public, there are no private beaches.
2. In order to get a concession to build on the beach, permits must be issued by the National government. This permit was issued by the local mayor.
3. It is sea turtle nesting season and Bluff Beach is a primary nesting beach for endangered green sea turtles, endangered leatherback turtles, and threatened loggerhead turtles.
4. The sets for the shows have built right next to active sea turtle nests. No telling if they have been built on top of some nests.
5. The sets can deter nesting behavior.
6. Lights from the sets can cause hatchlings to head towards the lights and away from the water. Many hatchlings will die of dehydration and succumb to predators if the lights draw them in the wrong direction.
7. The show intends to be there for three months, the entire length of the nesting season.

PLEASE help me and take 5 minutes of your time and send emails to our local newspaper (Bocasbreeze@yahoo.com) expressing your outrage. These will be forwarded to the proper authorities and hopefully we can stop this travesty.

I sure would like to get some of the folks on Scubaboard involved in trying to stop this senseless destruction of sea turtle nests. Please folks, if you enjoy diving with turtles, if you want to help save these endangered creatures, spend five minutes (less time than it took to read my ramblings here) and send a brief email to our local newspaper (bocasbreeze@yahoo.com). Public outrage is what we need at this point to get the local government to rescind the permit.

We are planning on peaceful sit ins at the beach to disrupt filming because all Panamanian beaches are public access (even with the permit), but I am so mad I am almost ready to take the set apart myself, just need a new chainsaw.

Thanks for the heads up I sent them an e-mail. Pm me if there's anything else i can do.

Joe B

Thanks for sending. One of the mods moved this thread over to the "Marine Life and Ecosystems" forum. We have gotten some great feedback there and I have been posting regular updates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom