Choosing the right computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afslick

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a new diver that is looking to buy a computer with basic functions. I do not need anything fancy. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!!!

What kinds of features are you looking for? air-integration (tells psi), wireless transmitter, PC downloadable profiles, etc.
What is your budget? $200, $500, $1000, sky's the limit
Do you plan on using nitrox in the future? it's probably a good idea to get a nitrox-capable computer
Have you used any particular brands/models that you like?
Do you care what deco algorithm the computer uses? liberal vs. conservative
Do you prefer having the computer in a console or on your wrist?

The features that I look for include: easy to read, easy-to-use menus, user-replaceable battery, made by manufacturer with good customer service, affordable price, nitrox-capable, gauge mode, and wrist-mountable.

There are a lot of decent brands and models out there.

I would not worry too much about a DC for now, rather use the tables as a start until you know what your needs are. Someone in the dive group will have a DC, stick with them or the DM. If you have the spare cash, you could consider a Suunto Gekko, Hollis DG 02 or Oceanic GEO 2.0. Search the internet do some research. You will quickly get a feel of what your requirements and budget constraints.

I would not worry too much about a DC for now, rather use the tables as a start until you know what your needs are. Someone in the dive group will have a DC, stick with them or the DM. If you have the spare cash, you could consider a Suunto Gekko, Hollis DG 02 or Oceanic GEO 2.0. Search the internet do some research. You will quickly get a feel of what your requirements and budget constraints.

:no: Dive tables or get your own. That's a bad habit to start especially once you start doing longer or deeper dives. You might be "with" your buddy the whole time, but your profiles will not be the same. Thus, sharing a computer is not wise. It's also not teaching you anything about tracking time and depth if you are just waiting around for someone to tell you it's time to go up.

^^ yeah, that.

slick, bubble laid out a good starting place. there are plenty of inexpensive computers (non-air-integrated, nitrox compatible, mount on wrist or in console) to choose from.

give a look to the veo line - there was an air-only for about $100 several years ago, and the nitrox was in the $200 range. they are solid computers, but certainly not the only ones that will fit what you're looking for.

I'm a new diver that is looking to buy a computer with basic functions. ....... I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!!!

This is the list of our dive computer classes as of today.
The first few videos of each class are available to anyone - for free and without registration - and give you a good idea of the specific dive computer 's features.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom