Moving to Albuquerque and want to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BadabingM3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So looks like I might be moving to Albuquerque, NM next summer. I'm a fair weather diver and don't really enjoy diving in anything less than 65 degree F water and black ponds or dark holes is not my thing.

So where are the closest dive spots? south Cali? Gulf of California & Mexico? Stupid question but is it dangerous to drive from the US to Mexico to go diving? Is it better to just fly in/out to a resort? what's the water temp and diving like in Southern California? Thanks in advance for the help!

Rob

thanks! Was just looking at the Santa Rosa Blue Hole in NM. Something to keep the skills fresh I guess. Dry suits - $1,000+ Holy Jesus! I might have to save up for that. I'll give them a call when I get there.

But if anyone can answer part of my question was is it safe to drive across the boarder from NM to Mexico and dive at the resorts in the Gulf there?

We have been diving Mexico for several years, driving from Albuquerque to San Carlos is about a 14 hour drive, better to fly Southwest to Tucson and then rent a car and drive the rest of the way. I cross the border in Nogales and don't have any problems....If your moving to Albuquerque you have to dive Blue Hole it's 61 degrees so you can dive it in a 7mil, we also have a few other lakes in the Santa Rosa area to dive. If you have anything you need to know before you get here contact me @ wmonsam@comcast.net I'll be glad to help you out.

If your moving to Albuquerque you have to dive Blue Hole it's 61 degrees so you can dive it in a 7mil, we also have a few other lakes in the Santa Rosa area to dive.

I'll second that. Depending on your temp tolerance, 7mil is a doable thing for Blue Hole. There really isn't much there in the ways of "other things"; it's just a deep sink-hole. It's quite beautiful, but it's no bath water, heh. In addition, Perch Lake is about a mile down the road from BH. It's a little colder and not the best vis, but there's a few sunken items worth seeing (like a Cessna and a Jetta).

If you're looking for an LDS, I'd also recommend Sandia Snorkel & Scuba, since that's where I got my cert. The owners there are very personable and, although a little on in years, pretty cool people to converse with, learn from, and deal with. Admittedly, the shop is a little small, but they have a good percentage of anything you might need. Good luck finding some other spots though!

I agree Sandia Snorkel and Scuba is a great place to train with or just hang out...And yes your right, not that many places in NM to dive, but we are close to Mexico and California so great diving is not that far away.

So looks like I might be moving to Albuquerque, NM next summer. I'm a fair weather diver and don't really enjoy diving in anything less than 65 degree F water and black ponds or dark holes is not my thing.

So where are the closest dive spots? south Cali? Gulf of California & Mexico? Stupid question but is it dangerous to drive from the US to Mexico to go diving? Is it better to just fly in/out to a resort? what's the water temp and diving like in Southern California? Thanks in advance for the help!

Rob

LOL.... just noticed this post on the Arizona Forum. Albuquerque is in New Mexico, right next door and part of Rocky Mt Oyster Forum. There are lots of us active divers over there. :D
Rocky Mountain Oysters - ScubaBoard

my videos of Blue Hole and Perch: Diving "Blue Hole" in Santa Rosa, NM & around the Southwest USA on Vimeo
our photos of Blue Hole and Perch: BLUE HOLE Photos

other than Blue Hole, some of us go out to Calif every year in addition to other trips out of country.

robin:D

Welcome to "Qwerky" fellow diver. You'll soon learn "red or green" (the official state question based on chili preference) :furious: - then you probably won't need that dry suit. Another LDS to consider, The Scuba Company - ask for Wayne.

Back
Top Bottom