Has anybody seen a GW shark in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KC72

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wondering if anybody who has been diving in Florida have seen a GW while diving. I am relocating to Fl soon to be near the ocean. Tired of diving lakes and quarry. Hearing about GW really freaks me out while diving. Your response to this thread might by my deciding factor not to relocate there.

Once while spearfishing several years ago,they are believed to be following the northern right whales who are calving in the winter here.At least once a year here they are reported and maybe 15 yrs ago a 800# white was caught by fishermen.

Actually, yes, while driving down I75, there is supposedly one at the same tourist station as where they have the 15ft alligator.

that last summer or spring that a GW was caught offshore of Cocoa Beach, but that was like 20-30 miles offshore.

You have nothing to worry about. I dive in the ocean here and I have never seen anything other than a nurse shark.

A fisherman caught one off Key Largo several miles out about 10 yrs. ago. There everywhere but they don't like divers.

just this past April there were 2 that I know of (and have been confirmed ) that were caught within 20 miles of shore in Ft Myers and in Tarpon Springs both around 10ft. But its not them ya got to worry about its the bull sharks the Gulf if teaming with em.

Yes, they are caught from time to time, but the question was about seeing one while diving.

100days-a-year,

I'm interested in your story. Tell us about it.

Just don't wear a yellow wetsuit.

They think they taste like chicken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom