New computer features you'd like to see

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktomlinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently bought a new dive computer, and in the process of deciding which computer to buy I thought a lot about the features I wanted. I ended up getting an atom 2.0. It has all of the features I had to have, air integrated, 21-100% o2, user replacable battery, and it has the ability to check my buddies tank pressure, which I thought was cool.

The purpose of my post is to ask everyone what kinds of features do you want to see in future dive computers?

I'd personally like one that recorded gps coordinates for each of my dives (entry/exit).

No one?

I had another idea, what about actually testing my co2 buildup and blood oxygenation instead of relying on an algorithm that calculates how fast I'm breathing? (for overwork alarms). I just had my blood o2 checked at the dr and it seemed like a simple enough device.

Trying to get physiologic checks in a dive computer is expecting too much, at least at this time. The Galileo shows HR and it's not necessary.

I like air integration, on a hose (Miflex) for dependability, which implies console.
Small size like the Cobra, large digits and graphs, and color of course.
It should have good control over the degree of conservatism and the perhaps choice of algorithm with a default close to the Suuntos.
The display should include nitrogen tissue loading, which the Suuntos lack.
And it should have a good simulator function so you can learn the display without diving.
User changeable battery.
Good PC interface with the ability to print nice log pages.

Adam

One day we will have (open circuit) computers with integrated O2 sensors so automatically calculate the mix. I'll look forward to that day.

Heh that was gonna be my feature wish. Don't they already have something like that for CCR?

I think so, although I am not a CCR diver myself.

I think having it auto check the mix would be sweet too.. Maybe it could even check for carbon monoxide. Having a computer that does all of the things listed so far shouldn't really be out of the reach of today's technology. The new htc cell phones are 1 ghz, and smaller than some wrist mount computers I've seen..

I think having it auto check the mix would be sweet too.. Maybe it could even check for carbon monoxide. Having a computer that does all of the things listed so far shouldn't really be out of the reach of today's technology. The new htc cell phones are 1 ghz, and smaller than some wrist mount computers I've seen..

That's a good idea, though those sensors for O2 and monoxide have to be calibrated. Still it's a good safety feature.

Adam

Most basic computers today have everything I want on a dive computer. Most have much more than I want.

I'm always reminded of a book Bill Gates wrote 15 or 20 years ago (I can't remember the name). He incorporated a lot of it in his house. It's high tech but not needed or even useful in some cases. He envisioned a refrigerator that would know when you ran out of milk and would automatically place an order to be delivered to your door.

When you go to his house you get and wear a pin with your personal data so as you walk though the rooms of his house the music changes to your preferences and the digital art on the wall changes as well.

It's cool to think about but I wouldn't want it for my house. I don't want to have to call the digital picture repair man or to complain to the supermarket when they start delivering things my refrigerator ordered that I don't want.

Decompression theory isn't advanced enough to use the detailed data that you might be able to measure.

To actually answer the question (for me) it would be the Liquivision at the price of a IQ-700.

Or another way of looking at it, it would be the IQ-700 with OLED display, ability to run Buhlmann,VPM, or RGBM algorithms, and the ability to see a graphic profile of the dive on the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom