Driving from Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Arriving in Ft Lauderdale Airport next Friday at 9:20 am and then driving down to Key Largo. Mapquest gives one route and the hotel gives another. Which do you think is best at 9:30 in the morning?

Hotel says to take I 595 west to the Florida Turnpike. Mapquest says to merge onto N. Federal Hwy (US-1 S/ FL-5 S) and then take a slight right onto Griffin Rd (FL-818 W) and then get onto the Turnpike. So which will be the quickest?

Also I have yet to try Card Sound Road. Isn't that the name of the bypass down in the Keys? Is this a quicker route at this time of day?

Arriving in Ft Lauderdale Airport next Friday at 9:20 am and then driving down to Key Largo. Mapquest gives one route and the hotel gives another. Which do you think is best at 9:30 in the morning?

Hotel says to take I 595 west to the Florida Turnpike. Mapquest says to merge onto N. Federal Hwy (US-1 S/ FL-5 S) and then take a slight right onto Griffin Rd (FL-818 W) and then get onto the Turnpike. So which will be the quickest?

Also I have yet to try Card Sound Road. Isn't that the name of the bypass down in the Keys? Is this a quicker route at this time of day?

Most definately Follow the hotel's directions....You will encounter only moderate traffic with that arrival time...Have fun!

Carsound Road is more scenic than just a plain highway, but not necessarily faster.
I usually take Carsound when making that drive real early in the morning just because of the possibility of spotting some wildlife along the way, but at the time you'll be driving your chances are very slim.

595 to the Turnpike is the more direct route as you leave the Airport.

I do the drive every week. From the rental car garage merge over one lane to the right and follow the signs out of the airport to 595 westbound. Then follow the signs to the turnpike south. You can go via Griffin Road but it has a lower speed limit and a few traffic lights. You have to go past the traffic light under I-95 and then a few more lights to the turnpike. Not the fastest way. At that time of morning the morning northbound traffic rush will be over and you will have a smooth ride southbound. There are four toll booths for $1 each going southbound. The turnpike ends in Florida City at exit 1. take exit 1 southbound and follow US1 south to Key Largo. Although US 1 is under construction you shouldn't have any delays going south. You can take Card Sound Road, it takes a little longer and another $1 toll bridge but it is a nice easy drive. I recommend staying on US1 if you're not in a rush because you get a great view from two new smaller bridges they built plus the greatest view of Key Largo from the new Jewfish Creek bridge around mile marker 108.
Have a great trip. Stop by and visit us at MM 105.6
Larry

I agree with hotel (and the other [-]two[/-] three posters), 595 to the TP, not Griffin Road.

IIRC, Card Sound Road is 8 miles longer than taking the "18 Miles Stretch" between Florida City and Key Largo. It also costs $1 but there's only one Alabama Jacks and it's on CSR. And AJ's offers a whole 'nuther kind of scenery on the weekends but on a Friday late-morning, I'd be taking the Stretch.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input. I will definitely take 595 to the turnpike.

Thanks also Captain Larry for the toll info. It has been awhile since we drove down that way and I was trying to remember how many tolls we had to pass thru. I was trying to decide if I should do the Sunpass thing with the rental car company. Four bucks isn't bad so I'll just stick with the old stop at the toll and pay method.

NO NO NO do NOT do the stop and pay, you will kick yourself. It's going to cost you at least 20 minutes each way of your life that you'll never get back. Get the Sunpass.

The most important thing is to dial 5-1-1 from your cell phone before you start the car. Follow the voice prompts. Ask for conditions in Broward County, Miami-Dade County, and Monroe County. You just never know when Card Sound Road or the OverSeas Highway might be blocked and you would need to take the other. Same with the other roads in Broward and Dade. There are many ways to get to Key Largo so if one route is blocked there are other ways. 5-1-1 is your friend.

Thanks for the 5-1-1 info Debby. And I do still like the idea of zipping thru the tolls with Sunpass. It will depend on what the rental car company charges for the service. I will compare the extra charge and weigh it against the time saved. If it seems like it will be a close comparison in charge for the Sunpass vs the tolls I will opt for the Sunpass.

It's worth it even if it costs you a few bucks. Let's face it, do you want to spend 20 minutes or more waiting in line to pay a toll (approx. 5 minutes per tollbooth and there are four), or spend that 20 minutes in the Keys? Me wuvs Sunpass!

Sunpass website

Definitely get the Sunpass. I rented a car at the Miami Airport two Saturdays ago and drove to the Keys. I got the Sunpass for the first time and it made the trip a breeze compared to the same trip a month before. No looking for money, no merging trying to find the least crowded booth and no worries about merging back into the traffic flow after paying. Just be aware there is still quite a bit of road construction between Florida City and Key Largo. It was all single lane and there were not any passing lanes open between Florida City and Jewfish Creek (Inlet?).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom