Analog, Computer, Both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MiddleCoaster

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dive with an older AMF Swimaster (Mares) reg that has only one HP port. No room for a wireless transmitter, but could connect an AI computer hose to the HP port.

Question is: Should I rely on the hose-connected AI computer as my only source of tank pressure and depth information OR should I continue to use my SPG and analog depth gauge with an analog compass strapped on the back while adding a non-AI wrist mount computer?

I am considering either a Suunto Cobra 3 (hose AI) or a Suunto Vyper Air (wireless AI). If not the hose-AI unit, I would probably stay with the Air and use it as a non-AI until I change regs, at which time I would add the transmitter.

Advice/opinions?

For recreational diving, you only need one device that monitors tank pressure. Use either an analog SPG or an AI computer; it doesn't matter which one really. If the gauge fails during the dive, abort the dive. Some wireless AI computers might fail to pair up with the transmitter during pre-dive checks. If this happens, I'd attach an analog SPG (part of the save-a-dive kit for this wireless AI configuration).

I have a wrist mounted computer (not AI) on my right wrist and a small SPG clipped off to an O-ring on the left side of the BC. For dives where a compass it indicated it is on my left wrist.

I used to use the analog spg and wireless AI together. Baggage constraints being what they are these days, I have tried to strip all the excess from my rig, and that included the spg. I have never had a problem with data transmission and consider the wireless AI reliable enough. My diving these days consists of long-weekend trips; if I were doing a 10-day liveaboard I'd bring the analog spg.

If you only have one HP port save yourself some money and get a non integrated computer (wrist/console/retractor-your choice) and conventional SPG. All of the integration you need is between your ears anyway. Relying entirely on electronics for cylinder contents is just not acceptable to me.

I have had too many situation where I ask a buddy's pressure and instead of signaling they show me their computer! It's no fun trying to decipher someone else's display in limited visibility.

If you go wrist I would leave the analog depth gauge intact.

Pete

I used to dive the cobra. Very reliable. One less fault point compared to a computer with transmitter (2 fault points). If you did go on a LOB with either of these set up and they do fail, I guess you can always borrow a reg from the boat.

As i am teaching now, having a intergrated air doesn't make much difference as the students/leisure divers typically will run our of air faster then I do. Hence why a pressure guage and wrist computer.

SPG with DC.

I have been using the Vyper Air for about a year now with transmitter and it has been great, over a hundred dives and not once has it caused me to call a dive.

Thanks to all for the comments. Based on your thoughts, I think a good way to go is to keep the analog gauges (SPG and Depth) and add the Vyper Air wrist mount WITHOUT the transmitter at this time (read that "less expensive").

If digital fails, dive goes on. If analog fails, judgement call whether to call the dive, but cheap to fix local to almost any dive destination.

That will give me current computer technology and analog/digital redunancy for all but tank pressure/air time (depth, tables, time, compass). Also one less hose than if I tried to ADD the Cobra 3 AI-hose computer.

Will need to observe In/Out pressures to calculate SAC and log. Don't know if nitrox calcs will be accurate w/o pressure info, but am not now nitrox certified anyway.

When I DO upgrade to a new reg set, I can add the Vyper Air transmitter (and new analog gauges?) and once more further increase redun-dundancy again. Then Nitrox and logging will be more automated with the addition of pressure info.

And the old reg set still will have a set of analog gauges with digital redundancy if I use it at any time.

By noting in and out pressures as noted the computers final average depth will get you to SAC.

Lack of integration will have no impact on Nitrox dive management.That's about all mix/depth/time.

Don't fret hoses. they way down on the pecking list in becoming streamlined. Think trim and stillness.

Will that computer be content to operate without a transmitter or will it be nagging you?

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom