St. Stephen/Oak Bay/St. Andrews..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaconbest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! My wife and I are moving to St. Stephen, NB and I was wondering if there was a diving scene there?

Drop me a PM if anyone wouldn't mind a tag along sometime.

Great diving in an around the area. You need some local knowledge due to the monster tides, but places like Deer Island Point, Green Point and Black Rock (boat dive) are fantastic. Love to show you the sites, but I am on the other coast now. It is a small diving community there, shouldn't be too hard to find someone to hook up with. Good luck!!

Thanks! Do you know if there are any dive shops or a place to get fills in the area?

Deer Island is absolutely the best shore diving around your area, can be lots of current though so must be dove with experienced locals, and usually at slack tide. Closest to you is probably Eastport ME which has a beautiful shore dive at the Old Pier site, it also must be done at slack tide. Mack at Navy Island is not sure on charters until maybe Jun-Jul. Join NB Divers (go to nbdivers.ca) to hear about organized upcoming dives, or look for a dive buddy!

Last time I dove Greens Point (a few years now) it wasn't looking so good.. fish pens near the site has made a silty mess.

For shore sites with less tidal concern, there would be Wallace Cove @ Blacks Harbour (can be silty), and Beaver Harbour. Also New River Beach towards SJ is a favourite local training site, it's just bad after heavy rain due to fresh water run-off (and is best around high tide as the walk can be long!). The Dive Shack (in SJ) organized some weekend dives last summer with a DM and I'm hoping they are doing that again this year.. great if you are new to diving or the area.

You can look on nbdivers.ca though for some of these site profiles.

We are planning a Victoria Day weekend diving/BBQ in May on Deer Island, might be a good chance to meet up with others and see some of the sites. You'll have to post on nbdivers if you need a buddy though, most are coming as part of dive groups.

Thanks Ceb, I'll definitely do that!

I actually bought a house on Oak Bay, right on the water. There is a boat launch right on my front lawn, so if you guys boat dive, you're more than welcome to use it.

Appreciate your advice!
-gb

Back
Top Bottom