Uwatec Luna AI failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie59

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was recently diving in Cozumel with my Luna. I had been thrilled with the computer until my last 2 dives when the tank pressure would not read on the dive. The computer registered the pressure on the boat but failed to read in the water. These were the 35th and 36th dives with the computer that until then had worked well. Thankfully I was diving with an spg and didn't have to call the dives. The computer and transmitter are on their way back to the manufacturer.

Anyone with similar experiences with the Luna or Sol?

I was recently diving in Cozumel with my Luna. I had been thrilled with the computer until my last 2 dives when the tank pressure would not read on the dive. The computer registered the pressure on the boat but failed to read in the water. These were the 35th and 36th dives with the computer that until then had worked well. Thankfully I was diving with an spg and didn't have to call the dives. The computer and transmitter are on their way back to the manufacturer.

Anyone with similar experiences with the Luna or Sol?

How old is the luna?

I monitor Galileo/Sol threads a lot and have heard only a few posters having issues. The units appear to enjoy the best reputation for connectivity. UWATEC will remedy the situation...I used mine just a few hours ago..

I actually purchased it in November after the battery in my D9 died in Roatan. Vowed not to have computer that I couldn't replace battery. Oh well, best laid plans....

Might go back to my Suunto D9

I actually purchased it in November after the battery in my D9 died in Roatan. Vowed not to have computer that I couldn't replace battery. Oh well, best laid plans....

Might go back to my Suunto D9

What was the wrist computer's battery level? Could be a transmitter battery issue...The problem is most assuredly in the transmiter...

The most common reason your transmitter and receiver lose connection are due to a weak(er) battery. While the Luna itself is new there is no telling how long the TX has had the batter installed in it.

The battery in both the transmitter and the receiver are user replaceable if I'm not mistaken.

The battery level on the computer was full. There is supposed to be an indicator that warns of a low transmitter battery. I agree it is likely transmitter failure, but it is on way back to check.

Heck of a thing to pay that much and have it fail in less that 40 dives and 6 months. I'm sure it will be resolved but still disappointing.

The battery level on the computer was full. There is supposed to be an indicator that warns of a low transmitter battery. I agree it is likely transmitter failure, but it is on way back to check.

I'm not sold on the term "failure". The transmitter itself is sending data as you are able to get a reading above water. Water is 400 times denser than air so a signal that is easily readable above water may become unreadable underwater given a slight variation if TX power.

We often see transmitters of various brands having communication outages with the receivers when the batteries of the TX drop below full. In most cases, the battery is nowhere near the "critical" level that would set of the alert/alarm.

I'm not justifying the issue as it certainly is not ideal. I myself have outages on my Sol from time to time and my batter is ~1.5 years old with over 175 dives on it. I keep a brand new spare battery for both the TX and the computer itself in my dry bag or box.

You did the right thing, sending it back to have it looked at. If it were me, I would have changed the battery first before sending it in, but that’s usually how I do things with most all things in life, not just scuba. I try to trouble shoot the issue first before breaking down and sending it in for service.

Please come back and update us when you hear back from Uwatec / Scubapro

Did you dive with strobe lights, or close to someone with strobes? They have a huge impact on transmitter responses. You might also want to check the battery of the transmitter. Not sure about the mentioned function.

I only say failure because the computer is designed to give me the tank pressure during a dive and it didn't. if not for my spg i would have had to call 2 dives. As it turns out i tried the computer and ai in my bathtub after the dive and the signal was lost even close to the transmitter. I returned it instead of just replacing battery at recommendation of dealer. Even so, it probably should go back since the transmitter battery shouldn't go out after 4-5 months.

yes i did use a camera with strobe but had done that with the prior 30 dives. again, tested without strobe and it wasn't working

thanks for your input

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom