Changing the dive industry!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickendiver

Registered
Reaction score
This should make for a good discussion. As most of you know there must be a thousdand different agancies/ shops that cerify all divers. What I would eventually like to see is a standardized national testing agency that would qualify new divers. How many of us has seen poor instruction over the years...how many have seen divers dive on holidays when they were in the water 5 years before. All this gives a bad rap to the industry. A good example of what I am getting at is the flying industry. To be a private pilot you study under a school but the government qualifies you, that way the level of training is maintained. What does everyone think?

This will never happen. The govt. does not even require a liscense for commercial diving. Ice Skating is more dangerous than Scuba and you will never see it under the spotlight.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I just don't think the govt. will ever get involved in the rec. scuba world.

I don't think we need the Gov't in this situation. IMO we just need more consistancy in the development of new as well as current divers. Very easy to find divers who have all received different levels of training for the same designation. My AOW class was a joke. I should have just sent PADI the money and had them send me a new card with a really bad picture. Glad I have it but did not learn anything at all...........rather disappointing.

Poorly trained divers never crash into schools killing 50 kids. Why do we need the gov. involved at all? Most of what I have seen that would be due to poor training didn't endanger any one but the diver himself.

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
This will never happen. The govt. does not even require a liscense for commercial diving. Ice Skating is more dangerous than Scuba and you will never see it under the spotlight.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I just don't think the govt. will ever get involved in the rec. scuba world.

Although diving is a social sport practiced with "others" around "others", it does not involve the risks of potential mass casulaties that planes or motor vehicles have. If someone gets injured or dies, it will be in most cases the participant and not innocent by-standers. Government therefore has no reason to step in for reasons of public safety and license its participants.

yknot once bubbled...
Poorly trained divers never crash into schools killing 50 kids. Why do we need the gov. involved at all? Most of what I have seen that would be due to poor training didn't endanger any one but the diver himself.
Whay are people always comparing diving to flying? I've zero flight training experience except for how to don a lifejacket and blow a whistle :) but I just don't see how there's any comparison between dive training or flight training. Diving and rock climbing would have more in common.

Ain't never goin to happen!!!!! Most divers I know, take the resposibility of keeping their skills and education updated. The last thing that this industry needs is goverment regulations.

Ice Skating is more dangerous than Scuba

I dont' know I've neber been on a frozen lake, Is that why they skate in pairs? An OOS Emergency! What's the fatality rate for Ice skaters?

I do somewhat agree though Chickdiver, however the burden should be put on the LDS and Its instructors to comply with some sort of mandate. And maybe all agencys should make getting a Ow card a little more difficult, sorta weed out bad divers.

I like the diving-rock climbing analogy. I climb and have never taken an organized class. You don't have to have a C card to buy climbing equipment either. Everything I know I taught myself or was instructed by someone who knew more than me. I think people would make better divers if they took the same approach. You don't need to take a class at a dive shop to learn a skill. Get someone who is better than you to show you, think it through and practice.

Back
Top Bottom