KLM or Delta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to get miles on BA to fly Business class from Anchorage to Cairo but having a little trouble getting a mileage seat from Anchorage to the first stop. So.....I'm looking into coach. It sucks. I know.

Delta has a flight out of Anchorage that goes through JFK. It seems that unlike BA, Delta's transatlantic flight is nothing more than a long version of any other flight. I like BAs little comfort touches including the in seat entertainment and meals. What is the flight from JFK to Cairo like? The last long leg that I flew was ANC to Taipei on China and they actually had large seats, plenty of food, and entertainment.

KLM is another option. Advice on which one of these to fly is appreciated. Our travel dates are over Christmas and it looks like I won't get a mileage seat out of ANC that matches the Cairo route. So coach may be it for us.

Howdy!

We fly KLM a lot from the East coast (Boston, JFK, Dulles) to Europe as we live in Norway and have family in Maine. KLM is a great trip IF you end up on a KLM carrier. They are part of SkyTeam which is in partnership with Northwest and Delta. It's a crapshoot which carrier you actually get to fly on. Of the three, Northwest is by far the least comfortable or personable. Delta is okay but, like I said, if you actually fly on a KLM plane, the trip will be nice and comfortable. The Dutch crew is great and the planes seem to be designed for coach to be relatively comfortable as well. The crew actually smiles, whereas the Northwest crew all seem to be grouchy and more concerned with the politics of the cabin and the airlines rather than the passengers. That being said, I can't say we have ever had a really uncomfortable transatlantic flight yet. TransPacific flight on the other hand... Took an ANA flight to Tokyo - LOVED it! Ended up on United for the trip back - worst flight I have ever endured.

Good luck!

Howdy!

We fly KLM a lot from the East coast (Boston, JFK, Dulles) to Europe as we live in Norway and have family in Maine. KLM is a great trip IF you end up on a KLM carrier. They are part of SkyTeam which is in partnership with Northwest and Delta. It's a crapshoot which carrier you actually get to fly on. Of the three, Northwest is by far the least comfortable or personable. Delta is okay but, like I said, if you actually fly on a KLM plane, the trip will be nice and comfortable. The Dutch crew is great and the planes seem to be designed for coach to be relatively comfortable as well. The crew actually smiles, whereas the Northwest crew all seem to be grouchy and more concerned with the politics of the cabin and the airlines rather than the passengers. That being said, I can't say we have ever had a really uncomfortable transatlantic flight yet. TransPacific flight on the other hand... Took an ANA flight to Tokyo - LOVED it! Ended up on United for the trip back - worst flight I have ever endured.

Good luck!

Thanks, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I have several itineraries and a couple say that the KLM flight is operated by Delta. But I have 1 that says just KLM. I think that one also has the option to select the enhanced coach seats.

Thanks for the feedback. This will make deciding a little easier. Also--Is a 9 hour layover in Amsterdam enough time to get out and do a little sightseeing? Is it a hassle to get out of the airport as a transfer passenger? I mean with customs and immigration.

BA flies out of Seattle, but, who know what that stupid volcano is going to be doing in the future, so how about Egypt Airlines out of NYC... they are Star Alliance though.

EGYPTAIR - Welcome to EGYPTAIR website

No, it has to be someone that connects with us here in Anchorage. That's pretty much just KLM and Delta. I want miles on with my airlines, too. Plus I've read that EgyptAir is pretty no frills.

BA out of Seattle is the first class mileage ticket that I can get. I just need to get seats on a flight from here to there. That's my first choice. The volcano is going to affect anyone flying the US in that direction so it doesn't matter. Hopefully it will have settled down by then.

Thanks, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I have several itineraries and a couple say that the KLM flight is operated by Delta. But I have 1 that says just KLM. I think that one also has the option to select the enhanced coach seats.

Thanks for the feedback. This will make deciding a little easier. Also--Is a 9 hour layover in Amsterdam enough time to get out and do a little sightseeing? Is it a hassle to get out of the airport as a transfer passenger? I mean with customs and immigration.

9 hour layover in Amsterdam is fine for a quick trip into the city - on the way TO Egypt. On the way back, the security to the States from Schiphol airport is rigorous. The gate has it's own security screening as well as the Airport one so you would have to go through security twice if you leave the airport. The one at the gate can be rather long as well. We always make sure we don't leave the airport on the way to the States and we make sure the layover is at least 2 hours. Sometimes we have gotten through the gate security in half an hour, sometimes an hour and a half - crapshoot.

There are storage lockers to leave your carry-ons located in several spots throughout the airport, if you decide to go into town and don't want to lug the baggage around with you.

There is a train located in the basement of the airport that will take you directly to the center of the city. It costs 3.60 euros one-way or 6.20 euros for a round trip. Trains leave the airport about every 10 minutes and the trip to town takes about 20 mins.

Amsterdam is a fun place to visit - we will be spending the usual three days there on the way back from the States this summer!.

Oh, and to answer your question about it being a hassle to leave the airport - We have not run into a problem, the Dutch seem to be pretty relaxed about that kind of thing.

I did the trip to Cairo last September from Seattle using the NW/Delta flight to AMS, layover and then to Cairo on KLM.

I happen to really like the A330 that is used for the flight from SEA to AMS -- and I used the 9 hours to go to a hotel and nap so that when I arrived in Cairo (at 0100 or whenever) I wasn't totally trashed.

As much as I hate to say it, I much prefer the A330 to the 747-400 that KLM seems to be flying. The A330 had a power port for my computer; personal video; etc. -- and this was coach.

So, for me, I'd go Alaska to SEA, then Delta to AMS, KLM to Cairo.

I did the trip to Cairo last September from Seattle using the NW/Delta flight to AMS, layover and then to Cairo on KLM.

I happen to really like the A330 that is used for the flight from SEA to AMS -- and I used the 9 hours to go to a hotel and nap so that when I arrived in Cairo (at 0100 or whenever) I wasn't totally trashed.

As much as I hate to say it, I much prefer the A330 to the 747-400 that KLM seems to be flying. The A330 had a power port for my computer; personal video; etc. -- and this was coach.

So, for me, I'd go Alaska to SEA, then Delta to AMS, KLM to Cairo.

Did the hotel let you check in early in the morning? Do you recall the name of the hotel? Did the personal video have enough to keep you entertained?
Free alcohol :D ?

Oh, and to answer your question about it being a hassle to leave the airport - We have not run into a problem, the Dutch seem to be pretty relaxed about that kind of thing.

How much time should I leave to get back into the airport if we decide to walk around on the way to Cairo?

I haven't decided which route to take yet. I may still do the business class on BA for the entire trip. We'll see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom