Fin advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am sure this has been asked before, and am just not seeing it, so I'll ask again. I currently dive with Atomic Aquatic split fins. While they are comfortable, and I don't get any cramps or fatigue using these, I feel that they may be a little slow in the water. Any reccomendations on a good set of fins, that will provide better spedd, without sacrificing comfort, or cramps?

If you use muscles that aren't used to being worked, you run the risk of cramps. The more you work them the less likely they will be to cramp. I recommend Lightning Jet Fins.

On a more basic note - why are you concerned with speed? Slow down, enjoy your dives.

More of a concern with staying with the group during surface swims, and having a fin that is effective in current. It seems I struggle much more in current with the Atomic Aquatic split fins, than others I have dove with.

I am sure this has been asked before, and am just not seeing it, so I'll ask again. I currently dive with Atomic Aquatic split fins. While they are comfortable, and I don't get any cramps or fatigue using these, I feel that they may be a little slow in the water. Any reccomendations on a good set of fins, that will provide better spedd, without sacrificing comfort, or cramps?

a scooter :)

More of a concern with staying with the group during surface swims, and having a fin that is effective in current. It seems I struggle much more in current with the Atomic Aquatic split fins, than others I have dove with.

I found working on the proper trim and streamlining helped me a lot in propelling myself through the current quite fast even with doubles and a stage.

I would recommend checking out the Mares Avanti Quattros. They are super comfortable, pretty easy to kick, precise, and give lots of propulsion. As far as cramps go, the Quattros are not a fin prone to causing cramps (i've never gotten a cramp from them), but whether you will cramp up or not is going to have a lot to do with your leg strength/stamina.

as you probably know by now, split fins use diffenty physics to create thrust than old-fashioned paddle fins. paddle fins create thrust through the displacement of water on the down stroke only. however, paddle fins push water in more than one direction, wasting energy, and also create drag when no on the down stroke. if efficiency and speed are what you want (and you don't mind paying an arm and a leg), spring fins are the answer. they operate through the same principle as paddle fins, but remove some of the surface area of the fin, and support the blade with springs attached directly to the foot pocket. i use a pair of these YouTube - SCUBAPRO Seawing Nova Fins but the best advuce would be to make sure your kick as efficient-as-possible first. remember that short, quick kicking waste's energy, and to use long powerful kicks. try having your dive buddy film your kick from behind ... i promise you you're not kicking as wide as you think you are!

what kind do they, 'the group', 'motor' with---you might want to duplicate their choice(s).....personally, I would not worry about it, you've got some good ones...

Last edited:
I've used all sorts of fins, from splits to paddles to blades. I've tried unconventional fins and very traditional fins. The ones I like the best are APS Mantaray fins --they are very light but also powerful. My air consumption actually improved when I started using them and I've used them with everything from a single tank in the caribbean to a rebreather and wetsuit, doubles and cave diving.

I have several friends who tried mine and then went out and bought their own. A local dive shop started carrying them after the owner tried mine, as well.

Here's a review I wrote of them if you are intersted: My Best Fins

Jeff

I've used all sorts of fins, from splits to paddles to blades. I've tried unconventional fins and very traditional fins. The ones I like the best are APS Mantaray fins --they are very light but also powerful. My air consumption actually improved when I started using them and I've used them with everything from a single tank in the caribbean to a rebreather and wetsuit, doubles and cave diving.

I have several friends who tried mine and then went out and bought their own. A local dive shop started carrying them after the owner tried mine, as well.

Here's a review I wrote of them if you are intersted: My Best Fins

Jeff

i too use aps mantarays, although i find them a bit flimsy and lacking in power when up against even medium current.
i used to use tusa libertor x's which i felt had poor thrust , but the mantarays seem to have poorer thrust. i use a very conservative and relaxing frogkick when i dive and i haven tried using the mantarays with a long, wide paddle kick for power yet.
i however have the white colored mantarays which are flimmsier than the black ones.
would appreciate some tips on how you effectively use your mantas.

and oh, sorry for the hijack :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom