where to stay/dive in fort lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cl1115

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bought a plane ticket to Fort Lauderdale on a whim (it was $160 from NY :D). I'll be there for a weekend and would like to do some diving and other touristy stuff.

I've never been to Fort Lauderdale before and I'm wondering what's a nice, convenient neighborhood to stay in. I'm gonna name my own price on priceline and I'm considering Downtown FL, FL Beach Area, and Pompano beach area. FL Beach Area runs from SE21st St all the way up to Lauderdale by the Sea/sea ranch lakes. Which of these would be most convenient for getting to dive shop/nice beach/touristy stuff? I would like to avoid driving if possible.

Also, I've seen pro dive usa and sea experience being mentioned here, any other good dive shops that i should consider?

Thanks!

Call Sea Experience and ask for their deal with Bahia Mar. You'll be staying right on the beach for a very good price, and diving with my very favorite local dive op. Roll out of bed and the boat is right there. Walking distance to lots of cool touristy things on the beach and just minutes from the airport.

From their Accomodations page:
Staying at the Bahia Mar Resort:

• Room rate - $99
  • Hotel is located on Fort Lauderdale beach
  • Walking distance to many shops and resturants along the beach
  • Pool, Gift Shop, Deli and Tiki Bar all located on the premises
  • Divers can stow their dive gear in our store
  • Bahia Mar is offering "Buy 3 nights or more and get one night free" from June 1st to Sept. 30th when you book your hotel through us.
This price is only valid if reservations are made through Sea Experience. Please give us a call for any questions and/or making reservations at (954) 770-3483.

Let me know when you're here and if I can, I'll join you on the boat!

Hey guys,

Also, I've seen pro dive usa and sea experience being mentioned here, any other good dive shops that i should consider?

Thanks!

American Dream 2 is docked at the Hyatt Pier 66 and is the closest boat to Port Everglades (the inlet) but if you're doing Priceline/Hotwire, you won't know where you're staying until it's booked. These are the main three boats serving Fort Lauderdale.

If you choose Pompano Beach, your options grow in regards to the number of dive charters available. Pompano Dive Center also docks at the Sands Harbor Hotel and Marina but it's pretty datted and in need of an overhaul (the hotel, not the dive op). You've also got:

Hillsboro & Boca Inlets (Pompano Beach and Boca Raton)
Avid Diver / Captain Oliver Paoli / 954-854-7786
Diversity / Captain Tony Coulter / 561-368-9952
Miss Conduct / Captain Conrad Nix / 954-698-6139
Under Pressure / Captain Randy Whitneck / 954-943-2628
Tonto / Captain Bob Sheridan / 954-548-4457
Lady Go Diver / 954-421-2601
South Florida Diving HQ / 800-771-3483
ScubaTyme / / 954-786-0909

And I may have missed a few.....

If you want to do beach diving then you could try staying in Lauderdale by the Sea.

Thanks for the feed back guys.
I pricelined for pompano beach, downtown and fort lauderdale beach and got the renaissance for $65. Not a bad deal i would say. It seems like I'll be checking out either american dream ii or one of the ones i've mentioned.

American Dream II is a great boat with a really nice owner, you'll enjoy it :)

Looks like you're all squared away for this trip - but if you're ever back in the neighborhood - Shore Haven is a great place to stay in Lauderdale by the Sea. Nothing super fancy, but clean and is in a great location - very nice owners. It's one block from the beach (a public access area) and maybe a block and a half from Deep Blue Divers. The owner hooked us up with a local dive map and off we went for some awesome shore diving! Very economical and incredibly fun! Lots of restaurants and a great souvenier/beach stuff shop within walking distance. Check it out!

Deep Blue Divers.

I know they have been there for some time, but I have never dropped in there.
I think the lack of parking scared me off all of the time.
What is the shop like?

The shop is small - very small - but Andre (I believe is his name) was incredibly helpful - the parking is minimal - but since we stayed so close,we just walked - and when we picked up our tanks for the shore dive - we just pulled up on the side of the building. We never had a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom