Jet fins for non-technical diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
From the many posts I've read SP Jet Fins seemed to be, by far, the most preferred fin for pushing doubles, a drysuit, etc. Just curious what people's opinions are (people who have experience with them) regarding Jet Fins for a diver in a wetsuit with a single tank?

When I said "Tech diver", I guess what I really meant was: diver's pushing heavy loads, and/or loads with a lot of drag.

Last edited:
From the many posts I've read SP Jet Fins seemed to be, by far, the most preferred fin for pushing doubles, a drysuit, etc. Just curious what people's opinions are (people who have experience with them) regarding Jet Fins for a diver in a wetsuit with a single tank?

I've used them for hundreds of single tank tropical dives. The only issue I've had is they're a bit heavy traveling. One of my buddies has the OMS slipstreams that are practically identical but much lighter. I've thought about getting those when traveling by air, just for the weight savings.

Other than that, no problems.

That's how I started using them, and I love 'em. They're better suited for 'alternate' kicks, like the frog kick: most mortals' leg muscles will protest if they flutter-kick for an extended period of time. Myself, I flutter-kick with them only when I need a real burst of power, (e.g., dealing with a strong current), and I'm always amazed at how easily I move.

There are lots of old school fins you can try, such as Rocket II's, Turtles, Slipstreams and the Hollis F1. They have their differences: some are lighter and flopsier than others, for example. Can you ask your LDS or paddle fin-wearing friends to let you borrow their fins for a couple of dives? You may prefer a different type of old school fin to Jets or (which is sometimes the case) have foot pocket-sizing issues, so trying before you buy is a great way to go.

The OMS Slipstreams are a very nice single tank / wet suit fin! :D

One more for the OMS Slipstream they are neutral in the water as the Jetfins are slightly negative. I own a pair of the Jetfins and love them for the ocean. I use splitfins in the quarry at home.

hmmmm...traveling weight's not a concern, so at some point I'm gonna have to give them and/or the Hollis F1's a try (I know the SP jetfins are super well-regarded, but I like the F1's foot pocket better and they are probably the coolest looking fin I've ever seen). Thanks for the replies so far!

i still think jetfins are kind of a gimmick. they are short woohoo nice for wrecks. I personally like a nice longblade that can push a lot of water. Freediving fins are my favorite if your calves can handle em. Just take a tiny bit of getting used to.

I use my Jets for single tank dives all the time in the summer, especially if I am doing shore entry or need boots.
My dad kicks up silt when using his splits trying to pass me.

Jets are the preferred fin of experienced divers the world over, regardless of the "tech" or not "tech" designation. The downside is that they are a tad heavy and with today's increasing travel restrictions they sometimes are a weight liability.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom