IRda Dongle for windows 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim2386

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Aladin Prime and my IrDA dongle works on my windows XP operating system but stopped working when I moved to windows 7. Does anyone know if anyone makes and IrDA dongle that is Win 7 compatible?

Thanks
Jim

Sounds like a possible driver issue. Do you still have the cd that came with it? Try reinstalling the driver for it.

Sounds like a possible driver issue. Do you still have the cd that came with it? Try reinstalling the driver for it.

There is no Win7 driver. I did a search for a new dongle that is Win7 compatible and can't find anything. The latest drivers for any dongle I could find were Vista compatible...

Jim:

When I installed Windows 7 on a new computer I made, an OS message appeared stating that the proper driver was not installed, and would I like Windows 7 to find it and install it? I said "yes", and a few seconds later the dongle started working perfectly. Mine is a cheap $15 model.

Dan

Jim:

When I installed Windows 7 on a new computer I made, an OS message appeared stating that the proper driver was not installed, and would I like Windows 7 to find it and install it? I said "yes", and a few seconds later the dongle started working perfectly. Mine is a cheap $15 model.

Dan

Do you have a direct link to the dongle you have where I can buy it?

I have had mine for several years: it is an Actisys model, and I did not see it on line. Here is a link to what Amazon sells:

Amazon.com: infrared usb

Hope this works for you!

Dan

Had the same issue with the complication that I use Win 7 x64. I got myself a Longshine 8141-A dongle, but any IrDA dongle with a MosChip MCS7780 will do - you can get the drivers from the MosChip page.

Had the same issue with the complication that I use Win 7 x64. I got myself a Longshine 8141-A dongle, but any IrDA dongle with a MosChip MCS7780 will do - you can get the drivers from the MosChip page.

Do they usually specify in the users manual what type of MosChip they have? Is this a standard chip used by most IrDA manufacturers to perform infrared communications? I'm not sure if my dongle has that chip and if it just requires a software upgrade....all the better!

Also, do you have a direct link to where I can purchase the Longshine dongle?

Thanks!
-Jim

Folks, if Win7 won't 'find' the driver automatically, then manually point it to a Vista driver. Win7 will complain and say the driver is not digitally signed. Install it anyway.

An IrDA is an IrDA is an IrDA . . . they all have to meet certain specs. The drivers are the issue, and mostly when you are trying to put a device on a x64-bit machine. I finally had to replace my 10-y/o IrDA when put my laptop on the x64 Operating Sytems. I still use the IrDA on the x32 system, though.

Back
Top Bottom