Dive Computer Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a Suunto Mosquito that is 7 years old and hasn't been wet or even worn in 5 years. I removed the battery and I didn't see any acid leaking or anything from the lithium battery.

What service should be performed prior to putting this back into use? I could buy the battery kit with new oring and all but I'm wondering if it would flood or be miscalibrated somehow when I get it wet.

No calibration is required.

The only servicing needed is...changing the battery. Buy one of the official Suunto Mosquito battery kits that has a new o-ring, battery, gold-colored metal piece, and battery cover. The new battery cover is necessary because it's very easy to mess up the existing battery cover when you're removing it with a coin. Trust me. You'll see what I mean when you get around to doing it. :D

In the past, I've been able to re-use a battery cover for a couple of battery changes before I scuff it up too much with the coin.

I've changed my battery 4 times so far. I did all of the changes myself. I never pressure-tested the computer afterward. Just pay attention to detail, don't jack up the computer case trying to remove the battery cover, and re-assemble everything properly. The hardest part of the whole process is removing the old battery cover. If you've already done that, then the rest of it is a piece of cake. After the battery change, I throw the computer in a bucket of fresh water to see if it's water-tight. After that, I take it for a test dive in the ocean.

I've replaced the battery a couple times in the past and I agree with you. I was just wondering if there was anything additional I might need to be concerned about since the computer has sat on the shelve for so long.

It should be fine,I use to have one but I move up to a D9. But you should have the depth tested in a chamber to make sure it is accurate.

It should be fine,I use to have one but I move up to a D9. But you should have the depth tested in a chamber to make sure it is accurate.
Meh. I recommend just comparing it to your buddy's computer on your next dive.

How much does a dive watch chamber test cost? I suppose it might be worth it if it revealed a leaky battery compartment seal and it gave you an opportunity to fix the issue without flooding the computer first.

Thanks all. Yes, I've always had a computer and a SPG and would cross check the depth with my SPG and my buddies SPG.

That said, I think this computer may not dive again after all. Upon close inspection I see a small crack in the bezel ring that sits on top of the face plate. I don't know if this would cause a leak but since I don't recall the damage occuring I'm not sure how severe the impact was.

I really just need a bottom timer for my trip. I wonder if I should even spend the money on getting a new battery and take a chance on it flooding or if I should just leave it on the shelve to get fixed another day in case I get active in diving again.

My trip is in a week.

Meh. I recommend just comparing it to your buddy's computer on your next dive.

How much does a dive watch chamber test cost? I suppose it might be worth it if it revealed a leaky battery compartment seal and it gave you an opportunity to fix the issue without flooding the computer first.

If the shop changes the battery then it’s included, other wise they would do it for free are a couple of dollars.

If the shop changes the battery then it’s included, other wise they would do it for free are a couple of dollars.
Hmmm. How much did you pay for battery kit + labor + pressure test for your Mosquito (when you had it)?
How about for the D9?

For some crazy reason, I figured that I was saving money by changing the battery myself. I have no qualms about doing the service on my own, but I never bothered to pressure test after opening up the case. I would certainly be willing to spend $2 on a pressure test. I may have to re-consider how I've been doing things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom