Seeking advice on purchase of "short" fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cindycycle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I need some shorter fins to snorkel in an area where I want to do the least damage to the bottom, should I touch down. I would not be covering long distances or battling a strong current, so I can give up power in exchange for the shorter fin. Thoughts?

I'm a lifelong snorkeller and my experience is entirely with traditional all-rubber fins. The short-bladed fins your enquiry brought to mind are (a) those now associated with bodyboarding and (b) those now associated with swim training, both of which have rubber blades which may cause less damage than hard plastic blades.

(a) Churchill fins
finslarge.jpg

Open-heel Churchill fins may be associated in people's minds nowadays with bodyboarding, but they were originally designed during World War II to be used within a range of occupations, from lifeguards to combat swimmers.

(b) Vertex fins
639.jpg

Full-foot fins with short blades like these are primarily designed for lap swimming practice and their rubber blades can be cut down further, if necessary, with shears.

The two models above just represent two types of fin you might consider. There are many possible candidates within each category. They can be used for snorkelling, particularly in the calm waters you appear to be contemplating. As with all fins, fit is the priority and that means matching the foot pockets to the width as well as the length of your feet. If you intend to wear socks or booties with the fins, you will have to don such footwear before trying any fins on for size. If these fin designs appeal to you, I can suggest a few makes or models. Don't pin yourself down to a particular fin model prematurely. Fins that fit and suit somebody else perfectly may well neither suit nor fit you perfectly. We're all different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom