Drysuit Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kbkremer1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I just started diving with a drysuit. I have heard padddle fins work the best. With my rock boots, my regular fins ( Mares volo power), dont fit. I got a used pair of Scuba pro jet fins, wrong size too small, and I have a set of Mares Plana Avanti that do fit with the rock boot. My dive buddy says they are too long for drysuit while my other buddy says " whats wrong with them". I have not used them yet cuz my other dive buddy gave me his jet fins to use on the last dive trip. SO, what do you all think? What would be a good pair to get? Thanks!!!!!!! Lets hear it.

I have mares avanti fins that I have used with my rock boots on a dry suit. They worked ok, but I found them to be stiff, like swimming with boards on my feet is about the only way to describe it. Paddle fins are not mandatory, I use Apollo biofins and have not had a problem in dozens of dives. If you were a working diver or under a lot of adverse enviromental condtions, paddle fins may apply (use of split fins were discussed as part of the conclusion of a USCG report on diving fatalities on an arctic dive a few years ago).

Turtle fins will fit a rock boot and are about the same price and style as jet fins. Some divers have suggested using chuck taylor converse canvas high top sneakers instead of rock boots. The footprint of the sneaker apparently allows it to be used in regular sized fins, but I have not tried it out.

Many people use paddle fins dry or wet, because it's easier to perform the non-silting, precise positioning kicks with them. The specific ones you use will in part depend on how much weight you need on your feet to trim out properly. The OMS Slipstreams or Dive Rites are more or less neutral in the water, the Jets or Hollis F1s are heavier. Try different ones, and start working on your frog kick.

As much as we sometimes pick on floppy split fins, I doubt paddles would have saved those Coast Guard divers. The whole incident was a huge fiasco, with, among other things, the divers being overweighted something like 20-30 lbs each, and at least one had not connected his BC to his regulator.

Last edited:
You can use any fins with a dry suit that will fit on your feet. I'd say probably the majority of Puget Sound divers use splits of some kind.

A lot of us like a fairly stiff paddle fin for precision maneuvering, but that's a personal preference.

Very light fins with a drysuit can result in some feet-up trim issues.

I use a pair of Force Fin SD-1 Military Fins.
The foot pocket is adjustable and I have used mine in the Great Lakes, Alaska and British Columbia and worked well for me. Since I can change the foot pocket I have made it smaller to use with a wetsuit bootie in Florida and the South Pacific.

I switched back and forth between my Hollis F1 and Slipstream fins this weekend to get a feel for the difference. For me, in Arctic undies and a Fusion LE suit, the Hollis fins are the better choice. The Slipstreams were *much* too light and floaty. I had a much easier time trimming out with the Hollis fins.

The Slipstreams are great for warm water, light wetsuit diving though.

Henrik

If you want a great Fin that will last go with either of the 3, Turtle Fins, Jet Fins, or Hollis F-1 fins. These are simple and effective and are the most popular fin's out there. They work great for all Kicking styles and sounds like your pretty athletic and will like these fins. I personally Own the Turtles, My GF got Jets due to fit.

Turtles
BLRFTF.JPG

ScubaPro Jet's
scpfj.jpg

Hollis F1
HLSF.jpg

Thanks for all the info! I'm sure I will come to a decent pair of fins with all of the feedback. Just gotta figure which one. Thanks again!! Keith

I would add OMS Slipstreams are a solid fin I use XXL large with my drysuit and XL with my wet suit when diving down south. Also use the Scubapro Jets which are a bit heavier and can help with floaty feet problems especially when diving dry.

Back
Top Bottom