Uwatec Aladin screamin deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ManBearPig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Uwatec Aladin Smart Tec Hoseless Wrist Air/Nitrox Computer with Transmitter

Although I do not "need" a new computer, it almost seems like this is too good a deal to pass up. Air Integrated and no docking station to buy to download data seems to make this a hell of a value for the money. Anyone know a reason not to buy this, or something better in that pricepoint ($500)? And yes I do know about having to send back to Uwatec to get the battery replaced, and that is not a huge issue to me.

Although I do not "need" a new computer, it almost seems like this is too good a deal to pass up. Air Integrated and no docking station to buy to download data seems to make this a hell of a value for the money. Anyone know a reason not to buy this, or something better in that pricepoint ($500)? And yes I do know about having to send back to Uwatec to get the battery replaced, and that is not a huge issue to me.

Disclaimer - noob, here.

1. Bought mine at that price, from LP

2. Sending in your computer every 5-8 years for a battery change and full service, including depth and gas accuracy tests does not seem to be a bad thing, to me.

3. Have the Aladin Pro Ultra's x 2, have been absolutely splendid.

4. Only problem with the Smart TEC transmitter is user error . . . get a freequing O-ring with the battery that you may change out, and make sure it is the right one.

5. Should you fail to seal the transmitting unit correctly, (shuttup), ScubaPro / Uwatec stands behind their stuff - I send it in through the dealer (get used to going through the dealer, that is how ScubaPro works.), was honest that it was my fault, and they will send me a new one for half the retail price. !@#$%^& my stupidity.

6. ScubaPro / Uwatec has also stood firmly behind their Aladin Pro Ultras and their TEC 2G . . . I don't expect anything less for my Smart TEC. I also expect zero problems, as their MTBF is in the thousands of hours.

'course, I don't have many dives . . . but I am a computer engineer. :wink:

It's from Leisurepro, so there's no factory warranty. This will probably start a flame war with LP defenders, but Uwatec has absolutely stellar service that goes far beyond what they're legally required to do, so anybody who promises to "match the factory warranty" is really only giving you a small part of what you would get if you bought it from a dealer.

Just for an example, one of my buddies sent in an old Alladin that they don't make and can't service anymore and they gave him a huge deal on a current model. When I send in my SmartCom for service, they sent back a brand new one. If you don't buy from a dealer, you don't get that.

If it's a "factory battery only" model, and you didn't buy from a dealer, the battery is probably going to cost you nearly as much as the computer. For example, the SmartCom battery is free, or around $400, depending on if you bought it from an authorized dealer or not.

Also, the model listed is discontinued.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom