sidemount practice before taking a class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eileentk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have recently gotten interested in sidemount diving. I brought a Nomad wing and reconfigured my transpac to use it. I've been playing with the set up in the quarry this winter using either aluminum 80's or steel 100's. I am planning to take a sidemount cave class later this summer and was wondering if it's better to keep on playing in the quarry with the SM set-up or wait until the class. I've received different advice on this ranging from: don't get into bad habits that the instructor will have to break you of; to why even bother taking a class - just play with the gear in the quarry until it works right for you and then take it into the cave. BTW, I should mention that I am full cave certified at present.

Either way should work fine.

The difference that I can tell from what others have told me is just that taking a class will get you configured and situated in a short timeframe, whereas just doing it yourself may take a considerabley longer time to get things worked out properly.

A friend of mine was diving sidemount for 2 years and was constintly fighting it. She took the class and is in love with it now.

Is this class going to include tight and no-mount stuff? If so I'd keep practicing. You are very unlikely to pickup any incurable bad-habits (I can't even imagine what they would be) in that timeframe. If it's a short class focusing on the basics, then whatever.. you will probably go over the same stuff that you'd be practicing anyway.

When I first took my sidemounts into the cave, I was really conscious of how the 7ft was barely long enough for single-file sharing and only when routed properly and how low my tanks were. I was already used to switching and watching my gas, so there wasn't really anything else of concern with regards to sidemount.

You develop a certain amount of muscle memory with use and practice,which you might have to alter some. It is beneficial to have some practice time with your configuration before advancing to class,kind of like when you took your cave class your instructor wanted you squared away with diving doubles. It is good if you were to hook up with someone that is experienced with sidemounting,and get your rig close to right while you practice.

The difference that I can tell from what others have told me is just that taking a class will get you configured and situated in a short timeframe, whereas just doing it yourself may take a considerabley longer time to get things worked out properly.
Ditto. I dove my gear SM before taking a course. It was helpful, because it brought up questions to which I was then able to get answers during the course. I also found that I leanred as much in the first hour of the course as I did through multiple dives before. But, I suspect that was because I was already framiliar with the gear and the process of diving SM.

Given your current level of training, I imagine you already have developed some good habits, and I doubt you will pick up 'bad' ones that will need to be changed, just from a little 'do it yourself' SM diving.

I agree that there is a great deal of advantage in practicing and getting comfortable with the configuration first. The task loading otherwise could be impressive.

Much of it will depend on your instructor. After talking to several, it is evident that some are very particular and almost dogmatic about what they value in a sidemount configuration, others will help you tailor your configuration to the type of SM diving you want to do, and still others have a more or less what ever works, works attitude. So I'd start with conversations with prospective instuctors, get one that fits, and then consider the advice they give you.

What kind of sidemount course are you planning on taking? There are a couple of different courses available. If this is an OW sidemount course, then either wait until you can take it, or wait to schedule it. After several months of diving in the configuration you may decide you don't need the course...or you may decide you've been wasting your time and want advice and mentoring from someone with the experience. A caveat here...watch out for OW sidemount courses taught by instructors who have little to no experience diving in sidemount. Recently, there has been an explosion of sidemount instructors who became sidemount divers and instructors in the same long weekend. Most of these instructors have very little to offer in the way of practical experience. If you're going to spend the money for instruction, get it from someone who dives sidemount on a regular basis.

If you are planning on taking a sidemount/no mount cave course, then you should definitely get some experience in the rig before you start a course. Same caveat applies, although there aren't many instructors who teach this course that aren't doing those types of dives.

Thanks all for some very helpful comments. I've decided to play extensively in the quarry with my SM rig using both aluminum and steel tanks (the former because eventually I'd like to dive some of the cave systems in Mexico). I also may play with the single tank sidemount just for snicks and to see if I can get the hang of it. It will all be good practice before I take my cave sidemount class with Jill in Florida.

Greetings Eileentk and I have done just as you are contemplating. I have found that a course would be helpful at the start to get hoses and the different configurations available. I have a mentor full cave S/M buddy who has spent considerable time assisting me helping me put my research into reality.
Practice has been wonderful and I have enjoyed the evolution as well as the comfort that it offers.

Jill is awesome and will get you dialed in right away. I listened in on one of her dive briefs at Peacock in Jan. Excellent in every way, you will have a blast.
It is my intention to continue my cave training in S/M and will follow my instructors wishes. If I pick up some bad habits I am certain he will carve them off with glee!
I love the freedom and profile so I have started to change over all but wreck dives as of yet. I want to gain my experience slowly to gain the muscle memory that is required. No rushing just loving every minute!
Good luck and have fun. Dive safe!
CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom