Ditch analog pressure gauge for Suunto D9?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was just wondering. I have heard so stories about the suunto d9 giving unreliable or conflicting tank air pressures. I was interested in getting a D9 but was debating if I should just get the watch minus the transmitter. Or should I just go all out and get the d9 transmitter to replace my analog tank pressure gauge? What do you guys think?

You mean I can use both at the same time? I would feel more comfortable with that setup just incase the D9 craps out.

Yes. Not all computers are air integrated.

The safest way is to use both the transmitter and the analog gauge, as a wireless link is way more prone to fail than a simple analog gauge. Just make sure your regulator has two HP ports. If your regulator has only one HP port, and you don't wanna change it, buy only the D9. Buy the transmitter when you get a 2 HP port regulator.
My D9 transmitter failed on me 2 times in about 200 dives, I was really glad to have an analog gauge as backup.

My 2 cents…

I have tried both ways and am much, much happier with the air-integrated Nitrox computer I use.

I really can't stand the idea of assuming that every dive is a square profile and being limited by the notion that my max depth was the depth I was the whole time. I love the freedom I have to sawtooth my profile a bit if I want. I love how my computer tracks my Nitrogen load and O2 exposure automatically.

It also tracks my tank pressure and depth so I can later load that data into a program and have it show my my SAC rate.

Basically, I like letting the computer do what it's good at doing. It frees me to enjoy my dive.

-Charles

If you're not going to use the transmitter then there's no point getting the D9. Buy the cheaper versions so that you don't have to pay for the air integration capacity of the computer, which you wouldn't be using in this case.

I would keep both. I have a Suunto Vytec, air integrated via a transmitter, but use an analog 3 console SPG as my backup in case the Suunto craps out on me. If it ever does I can continue with my dive using the SPG as long as I can still adhere to my dive plan.

If you're not going to use the transmitter then there's no point getting the D9. Buy the cheaper versions so that you don't have to pay for the air integration capacity of the computer, which you wouldn't be using in this case.
Yes, exactly. If you don't get the transmitter, don't get the D9. Look at their other models (D6, Vyper).

A lot of people back up their wireless gas-integrated computer with an analog gauge. Before you do, though, you must:

a) admit to yourself that the D9 is an expensive and unnecessary gadget, and

b) verify that the first stage of your regulator has two high pressure ports (most do).

I have been using Uwatec Gallileo Sol with wireless pressure gauge and its been 100% for over 120 dives now. My friend uses D9 with wireless pressure gauge and so far he had 3 incidents (he has over 150 dives on them) where it could not pair it and read the pressure. He has a backup analog gauge all the time. As for myself, if it ever fails I will simply abort my dive knowing my last pressure. But if I am on a live aboard I always bring redundant equipments with me - extra reg and computer.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom