Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Dived > 400 Dives - Think Solo is just as safe

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Dived < 400 Dives - Think Solo is safer

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavemanxxx

Reaction score
( yeh another one... )

Author voted for # 5. . Prefer to take my chances with the big open sea than a Dive master assigned freak of nature who can barely swim

Wanted to really see how many experienced divers are against solo.

p..s item # 6 was supposed to be "> 400"

Had you gotten your poll right I'd of voted over 400 solo is safer. In general If you know what your doing and are confident in your self, this is a true statement. There are limits to what I would consider "safe" solo diving, but thats a whole 'nother thread.
The short version. Some people are NEVER ready to solo dive, even in two feet of water. They are just not mentaly prepared for it. They have been convinced by the media that they are going to die.
Others, know thier limits, and DO NOT EXCEED THEM, and they are fine.
While others exceed the limits and become statistics and give solo diving a bad name.
If you plan a dive and can't get yourself out of the worst case senario at max depth, FORGET IT. Its not for you. Thats OOA, entanglelment, anything you can come up with. You must think it through and plan thoroghly beforehand, and when you execute be prepared for the unexpected. It will come.
On the plus side, if done correctly and safley(yes it can be done) solo diving can be the most rewarding and engaging diving that you will ever do. Do your homework, crosscheck it then do it again. Then and only then, go for it.

Jim:doctor:

SwimJim had an intelligent response. I have been solo diving for about 8 years, mostly from my kayak. About 90% of my dives are solo dives. I thoroughly enjoy it.

caveman once bubbled...
( yeh another one... )

Author voted for # 5. . Prefer to take my chances with the big open sea than a Dive master assigned freak of nature who can barely swim

Wanted to really see how many experienced divers are against solo.

p..s item # 6 was supposed to be "> 400"

Question cannot be quantified by number of dives.

Custer once bubbled...

Question cannot be quantified by number of dives.

perhaps not - but the experiance of the opinion can be.

i'm biased towards the subject - i by far prefer solo diveing - even with a buddy:mean:

actualy my regular buddy and i dive solo together - not the "same ocean buddy" thing as we know that we will seperate and can't depend on the other. we'll often run into each other sometime during the dive and then point out things to each other. it's amazing what i find and what he finds, we both find cool stuff to look at and about the same amount - but different stuff.

i'd have like to see the poll break it down farther (not to mention the last option not typoed) to <100, >100<500, and >500.
my buddy's wife has >100 dives but will NEVER be able to solo dive - she doesn't have the temprement for it.

dives...but I needed the choice "over 400 and maybe not AS safe, but safe enough for the right people under the right conditions." I like to solo dive when I'm not working, but I'll admit there are some scenarios (mostly of the sudden, catastrophic illness variety) in which a buddy at hand would be beneficial. People for whom "water in the mask" or "a free flowing reg" or "a big scary fish" qualify as "sudden & catastrophic" should not dive alone....or maybe even NOT alone...but if everyone was competent, who'd pay me to guide/teach them?

Yet another biased poll.

I agree with Iruka's comments. Solo is not AS safe, but is safe enough in some conditions.

Caveman -- you say buddy diving is unsafe because of the " Dive master assigned freak of nature who can barely swim". If you are such a great diver, dive with the freak of nature and help him out.

I am always glad to buddy up and share a dive with a new diver.

Ever notice how often people are so dedicated to thier opinion on one side of a discussion, that they begin slamming anything different...

Sometimes this board takes on the appearance of a politcal primary...

But on to the question,

Depending on dive configuration and experience / comfort level either style of diving is safe in my opinion.

Jeff Lane

I'm in the over 400 dives category, and I have no problem with someone who wants to dive solo, under certain conditions. If you're experienced and comfortable, familiar with the area and comfortable in the diving conditions, and you take adequate precautions, I can't see any problem. I don't understand why someone would say solo diving is "more safe", but I won't argue the point.

I do think that new divers, especially, should dive with a more experienced partner at least for a while, whether that means a dive master or an experienced friend. Let's face it...a newly OW certified diver does not belong out in the ocean alone. Yes, there are people who have always dived solo and never had an incident. There are also smokers who have gone through a 2 packs a day for 30 years and not gotten cancer. That doesn't mean there aren't increased risks associated with either activity.

But, are the risks minimal, and acceptable? Personally, I've done plenty of solo diving, mostly working dives. True, there are often (though not always) other divers in the water, but depending on the location and job, you can go an entire dive (sometimes an entire day) without actually seeing each other.

I will say, though, that when diving for enjoyment only, I much prefer to have a buddy with me. Not because I'm concerned about solo diving, but because it is, to me at least, much more fun and enjoyable to share the experience. Of course, I've never had to deal with the "Divemaster assigned freak of nature"...I rarely go on dives under the direction of a divemaster, and I dive with people I know and trust.

So, I guess my opinion would be I'd rather dive with friends, but don't mind going solo, and don't have a problem with someone else doing it if they feel euipped to handle it.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Yet another biased poll.

I agree with Iruka's comments. Solo is not AS safe, but is safe enough in some conditions.

"Safe enough" is what I would have picked, had it been available.

I am always glad to buddy up and share a dive with a new diver.

I generally don't mind, but it can get old. Especially if the new diver didn't have good training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom