Phase I: Guinness Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, y'all... I'm ready for Phase I of my World Record attempt. I told y'all that I'd keep you posted, so here goes:

For those of you new or not familiar, the World Record Attempt will be to break the "Longest SCUBA Submergence - Controlled Environment." The current record is just under nine days; that is, no part of the diver or the diver's rig broke the surface - any surface (not even of a habitat) for almost nine straight days.

My approach thus far has involved a tremendous amount of research... And much preparation. I have spoken to several experts in the field of hyperbaric medicine, and those involved with long-term submergence victims (read: shipwreck victims). I am more convinced now than ever that I can break this record.

There's lots to discuss... And some problems that still need to be solved. The "real dive" (Phase 5) will involve a wet dive in a controlled, salt water environment set with an unusually high temperature. The water will be of a very specific salt solution to help prevent my skin from becoming superhydrated. There will also be a facility for the removal of human waste, a feed station in the facility, and even entertainment items (computer, TV, video) that will help prevent insanity through boredom. :)

Phase I (this phase) will involve a single 24-hour dive on air. This is to do some underwater testing; how my body reacts to the stress and how to properly prepare for the dive. I have some of the necessary facilities, but I am still open to whatever people here are willing to donate to the cause.

1. I'm looking for a facility that I can use... Your standard 8 or 12 foot deep pool would be ideal. The water would have to be changed prior to the event, and the solution which will be mixed in it would include salt... To the effect of a situation similar to seawater (35 ppt). While this would not hurt most pool facilities, it should not be left like that; it will need to be drained and replaced with freshwater soon thereafter. The water should be otherwise free of "shock" or chlorine. Again, this would require a fresh fill before, and a fresh fill after the dive. The facility would also need to be heated; ultimately, the water should be around 95 degrees F, but close to that would be a fine option. Under no circumstances should the water temperature be less than 85*. The facilities for this phase will not require any special waste removal facilities or any sort of weird "entertainment" facilities.

2. At this point, I have a LDS that is willing to donate 24 AL80 tanks to the cause at a reduced rate... But I still would like to see them donated at no charge if someone has the facilities. (Yes I can offer local sponsorship advertising.) I'll probably only use 15 or 20 during the dive, but there will be surface support using additional tanks... To keep things simple, my plans are based on 24 tanks. Doubles would be nice, but are not necessary.

3. We need another four complete reg setups; These should be functional and problem-free.

4. I need a pair of full face masks; EXO masks would be the ultimate, but I'd be fine with a pair of AGA masks as well. Mostly, these will be used for sleeping (I could go 24 hours without sleeping, but the point of this dive is the exercise, and a pair of FFM's should be used for accuracy.)

5. I am looking for a couple of local volunteers. I have many who have expressed interest, and for that I thank you... You know who you are! I will happily use any help that anyone can offer, but remember that I have no idea where this event is going to happen yet (depends on the facility). Thus, "volunteer local" divers (must have certification) would be required.

Thanks, y'all... Please let me know whatever you can offer.

SeaJay,

Are you serious?

I've been kicking this one around a while... Chatting with Guinness several times and all...

I've done several months of research, too... And done some extended dives. This, however, will be my first long submergence. 24 hours is a long time.

Phase 5 will be a world record... And make no bones about it, I'm not doing this for any reason other than to fulfill a childhood dream.

Some advocates of DIR have criticized others for breaking records for the sole purpose of breaking records... As if the only reason a record should be broken is for scientific research or for the betterment of mankind.

I can assure you that I have no dilusions of the idea that my extended submergence is going to better mankind. I'm doing this because I've always wanted to be in the Guinness Book of World Records. That's it.

I consider it a personal challenge to myself... I dreamed it, and now I want to do it... Albeit safely, of course.

Most of all, I want to join the ranks of those who have done things that most people have never done before... I want to be a world record holder.

If you do a search on this board, you'll see that it's been discussed before. For those of you who have volunteered in the past, I appreciate that immensely. I have your names, and I will notify you as things become more solid.

ScoreResQ, you're the first person on that list. Well... Second. RavenC's the first person on that list. :D

I've also been in touch with a gentleman from the UK who's currently attempting to break the record as well. Unfortunately, he's currently tied up in the Gulf, and has been unable to compete. His attempt will be for 13 days, and in a drysuit.

My attempt will be wet, and has been upgraded to 14 days in order to compete with our UK friend.

As I mentioned before, this feels very much like the Sir Richard Noble vs. Craig Breedlove thing... Let's just hope that the results are different. :D

I'm flattered to be a part of it.

And yes, even though I've joked around a lot here recently, I am very serious about this dive.

...So who's got gear (and a facility) to donate/lend?

Well, good luck...24 hours underwater would drive me crazy...14 days would kill me...

I would go for a drysuit if at all possible.

It's going to be hard to find a facility willing to provide the salt water pool. You might be better off having a small tank built.

Maybe you could talk a large aquarium into letting you do it there...it would be good for their business and equiptment companies are more likely to donate gear for use if a legit institution like a museum is involved...

If you're willing to travel to Toronto, Canada, one of the LDS has an indoor heated saltwater pool in their dive shop which is used for some classes. Check out SCUB2000.com

Originally, I had the backing of the South Carolina Aquarium at Charleston... But as the day grew closer, the lead diver told me simply, "Legally, I would have to be here the entire time you're in the water... And I'm not willing to spend 14 days here."

...So the support I had there dropped.

It appears that I may have some interest from some of the large theme parks in Florida... As well as some interest from the smaller ones. Yes, they include the one with the mouse... As well as six others. Flat out, they're looking for the publicity.

But while that would be a great idea for the Phase 5 dive, I was really hoping for a smaller, more personal (read: I can make a mistake and try again on the next phase, rather than be publically humiliated) facility for Phase I. I would like to get some practice in before having someone like the mouse (or his affiliates) rely on me to publically promote him.

Since the requirements for Phase I are so much simpler, I am sure that I can find a facility... In fact, I already have a couple interested. However, none of them are ideal, so my "feelers" are still out there.

...And I still don't have FFM's. Someone here has got to be willing to lend for this event... I'll probably be able to obtain new ones from the manufacturer for Phase 5, but they'd like to see some success with Phase 1 and 2 before affiliating themselves...

Sheer boredom...even with some sort of entertainment...

You know, with 14 days underwater, you could get pretty good at those DIR skills...:)

That's what I'm thinking! :D

Believe it or not, there's a method to the madness. I think it'd be a great vacation from my daily "go-go-go" lifestyle.

And then there's Phase 6 thru 10 that I don't have the guts to share until I've hit Phase 5...

Not to mention Phases 11 thru 15... Those are going to involve Gavin scooters. Many of them. And no, these phases do not involve caves.

But first, to be taken seriously at all, I need to focus on Phase 1. Then Phase 5.

Probably stupid questions...

1) What is the current record for submersion now? I dont mean on SCUBA but say just under depth and pressure? Submarine or in something like "the rig" in the movie The Deap?

2) How is it appreciably different to spend the time submerged on SCUBA vs. submersable if you are receiving surface support for air and other consumables?

3) How can you POSSIBLY expect 24 tanks to last you 14, heck even the original 9, days? Or is the 24 tanks just for phase I dive of 24 hours?

4) If you just want to do it on SCUBA and other factors be damded why do it on tanks when you can get so much more time on rebreather?

...serious questions not trolling from a fellow life long dreamer of record breaking.

Spydertek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom