Newbie here with very newbie question!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sjsamuel

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just started my scuba cert. Last week. I'm neck deep in trying to figure out what snorkeling equipment is good.
My local dive shop sold me a deep see encounter mask with purge. It's the only mask I tried and was part if a package they were trying to sell. Unfortunately I started looking online, and can't find much info on it. Also I paid $70 for it where most prices online are around $35.
I made the assumption that it was a good mask based on the price, but with that kind of difference between local and online what am I looking at here.
I would like to support my local store but 100% difference in price makes me question the whole thing. I don't mind spending the money..I just want to make sure I get my moneys worth in quality.
Ps: I started looking because after playing in the pool with the mask I was getting some leaking and discomfort...another disappointment.

Return the mask and get one that fits properly. They may charge more because of the ability to try before you buy and may be able to return if only used in pool.

I go to several shops and try on masks. I gently press the mask to my face and see if there slight suction. If the mask sticks without breathing in through my nose then it should fit me. I then check for field of view and clarity of glass lense. Comfort and leak free is utmost.

Talk to the store about your problems. They should take care of you and help you find a mask that fits properly.

Ps: I started looking because after playing in the pool with the mask I was getting some leaking and discomfort...another disappointment.

One of the benifits of buying from the local shop is that its usually easier to return or exchange something. I support my shop because they do all the local dives, and if they went out of buisness I wouldn't have anyone to dive with.
But you'll see i'm the minority

And, while you're at it, avoid masks with purge valves. You don't need one (as you'll learn in your class) and they're just one more thing that can go wrong.

And, while you're at it, avoid masks with purge valves. You don't need one (as you'll learn in your class) and they're just one more thing that can go wrong.

I just don't see tons of "purge valve failures". In fact, I've seen two. One was clogged with snot, and the other had been sat on.

Assuming the owner rinses it out and doesn't sit on it, a mask with a purge valve should be just fine.

Also, whether or not the mask has a purge valve isn't always a choice. It may be that the mask that fits the best has one (or doesn't have one). Fit is always first, field of view is second, and whether or not it has a purge valve is a distant third.

Terry

If a purge was suggested with no input from you, sort out your stuff, complete your course and find another shop.

A mask must fit. The best way to test is to perform the procedure that cmburch suggested. Try the ones in the DS and find one that fits. Then you can look online and see how the DS compares as to price.

I agree with supporting the local shop, but you have to decide on what is reasonable and what's not.

Good luck.

DeepSee is a division of Aqua Lung who has been in business for over 60 years. Deep See has at least a dozen different varieties of masks to choose from so your LDS should be able to swap it out for something more comfortable to you.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a lot of variation in anything you could call quality in masks. All the ones I have tried on (which is a lot, because I have kind of mask fixation) have had decent glass and a decent skirt. I think the determining factors are fit, which is numbers 1 through 5, and field of view, which is number 6. The procedure described above, of putting the mask on and pressing gently with your fingers, and seeing if the mask will stay on your face, is a good one for determining fit. Don't put the mask on and suck your breath in -- enough suction, and almost ANY mask will seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom