Ft. Pierce Shore Dive: Wednesday 4/18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shcubasteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone interested? Conditions should be right for clear water near shore over the next few days.

Tonight...West winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 4 feet with a dominant period 12 seconds. A light chop on the intracoastal waters.

Tuesday...West winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet with a dominant period 12 seconds. A moderate chop on the intracoastal waters.

Tuesday Night...West winds 10 to 15 knots increasing to 15 to 20 knots after midnight. Seas 2 to 3 feet with a dominant period 3 seconds. Choppy on the intracoastal waters.

Wednesday...Northwest winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas 3 to 4 feet. A light chop on the intracoastal waters

West winds mean calm seas and (hopefully) clear water. I am free Wednesday after 11am if anyone is interested in paddling out. I would enter at the northern most access and swim north. Could also do this as a kayak dive.

Steve
shcubasteve@gmail.com

I am in! I am off on Sunday!! I have not been to PP in quite sometime. -- If the interest is here we can do a BBQ as well...

Sorry I couldn't make this one, I've been studying for my EMT finals.

How was the dive?

My final exam is tommorow. I'm hoping to maybe dive Friday morning but the winds look like they're going to be changing back to coming from the East again so I'm not sure.

At Pepper Park in Fort Pierce the first reef line is really close to the shore, less than 100 yards. There are lots of ledges which increase in size the further out you go. Depths are no more than 15 -20ft.

It's a really nice dive with lots of marine life including turtles and nurse sharks and the entry / exit is great as it is a gently sloping sandy bottom right up to the reef. To reach the outer reef lines some divers take kayaks to avoid the long surface swim.

Make sure you dive it on the incoming tide (before high tide) to get the best visibility.

At Pepper Park in Fort Pierce the first reef line is really close to the shore, less than 100 yards. There are lots of ledges which increase in size the further out you go. Depths are no more than 15 -20ft.

It's a really nice dive with lots of marine life including turtles and nurse sharks and the entry / exit is great as it is a gently sloping sandy bottom right up to the reef. To reach the outer reef lines some divers take kayaks to avoid the long surface swim.

Make sure you dive it on the incoming tide (before high tide) to get the best visibility.

Have you ever done any beach diving in Broward? I'm trying to get a feel for how it compares and if its worth the drive to check out some new spots.

I haven't done any beach diving in Broward but I have heard that Pomapano and Ft Lauderdale has got some great shore dives. Search for Lauderdale by the Sea (or LBS on the forum) as appparently that is considered one of the best beach dives in Florida. It's near the end of Commercial Blvd. Also I think the Pompano Drop Off is another site reachable from the shore.

I know there is a fairly active group of beach divers in that area on the forum so you shouldn't have to look too hard to find some information.

I haven't done any beach diving in Broward but I have heard that Pomapano and Ft Lauderdale has got some great shore dives. Search for Lauderdale by the Sea (or LBS on the forum) as appparently that is considered one of the best beach dives in Florida. It's near the end of Commercial Blvd. Also I think the Pompano Drop Off is another site reachable from the shore.

I know there is a fairly active group of beach divers in that area on the forum so you shouldn't have to look too hard to find some information.

I'm very familiar with the Broward shore diving as I go out there at least once a week. I was wondering if it's worth the drive to go up there when we have what we have down here. I didn't know if there was some bigger ledges and such within a half mile from the beach worth checking out.

Sorry! I understand what you were asking now!

I can't really compare not having dived the beaches in Broward but I would say it was well worth a trip up to Fort Pierce to dive Pepper Park. The ledges aren't huge but on a good day the viz is great and there is a lot to see.

As long as the conditions are right I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

So in reverse, if I was planning to drive down for a day of shore diving in the Broward area, what dives would you reccomend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom