Analogy to Spring Straps for Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
is there an aftermarket accessory for masks that is analogous to spring straps? what i mean is something that can replace the left buckle, silicone split strap, and right buckle .. is not adjustable .. but will stretch to fit your head? i already know about slap straps. THIS IS NOT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. slap straps use both existing buckles, have adjustable latches, and do not stretch. it would be quite useful to simply buy a strap i know will keep my mask at a set tension .. has no dangling bits .. and can bypass my mask's crummy buckles with a hard connection right to the silicone skirt. just like my spring straps do for my fins! thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide.

DIY. Buy a foot or two of elastic waistband or other stretch material at a fabric store. Then, attach it to your mask. Could be done by threading each end of the material around a fixed bar at the side of the mask (if there is one), then stitching each end to the main band that stretches around your head. Or, use a pop rivet instead of stitches. Or, perhaps you could use the pop rivet to attach the stretch band directly to your mask.

Well... Some slap straps do stretch. But I guess you knew that already?

The ones with velcro (no buckles) have a neoprene center (which stretches) and once you set the velcro, you can just forget it. It will go through the existing adjustment assembly on your mask, but that thing is pretty permanent and I have never seen another way to do it. You could invent something, but I imagine it would be more hassle than its worth.

What problem are you trying to fix?

i bought a mask (really wonderful seal & f.o.v.) that has a non-standard strap, non-standard buckles, and -- as far as i can tell -- a standard buckle-to-skirt connector. i'd like to replace the whole shebang with something that will stretch to fit my head!

I saw a bloke on a dive boat with a busted mask strap...he saved his dive by rummaging through his Save A Dive kit and fashioning a temporary strap from surgical tubing (you can buy it from any hardware or medical supply store). Two weeks later, he hadn't bothered to switch it out. Said he liked the set-up so much, that there was no reason to buy a new strap!

Use a spring strap. The principle should be the same and it'll move some weight off your belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom