Where to dive in/near Miami on a Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a weekend meeting in Miami in early June and was thinking of flying in Thursday night and trying to dive Friday. I am a very experienced diver, but would be diving with a friend from work who is a newbie. Any recommendations as to where to go somewhere fairly near Miami for a dive on Friday? Would prefer not to drive more than an hour or so. Would looking to be going with a dive shop/charter operator since I am unfamiliar with the area.

I know that this can be found somewhere within the archives (I did look for a few minutes), but I was wondering if someone could just give me an off the cuff response to the question

I have a weekend meeting in Miami in early June and was thinking of flying in Thursday night and trying to dive Friday. I am a very experienced diver, but would be diving with a friend from work who is a newbie. Any recommendations as to where to go somewhere fairly near Miami for a dive on Friday? Would prefer not to drive more than an hour or so. Would looking to be going with a dive shop/charter operator since I am unfamiliar with the area.

I know that this can be found somewhere within the archives (I did look for a few minutes), but I was wondering if someone could just give me an off the cuff response to the question

This operator runs a Friday trip every week from South Beach:
RJ Diving Ventures - The Best Wreck and Reef Diving in Miami

RJ is great but if for some reason booking with them doesn't work out, I recommend driving up to Fort Lauderdale and diving with Sea Experience II. In fact, I'm off on Fridays and frequently dive with them on Fridays so I'd love to join you, schedule permitting.

All good suggestions - but to make live easier call RJ - excellent operator

If you want to do some of the best diving in FL, go to Jupiter - its 90 miles north of Miami - but then you need to rent a car, get up really early (to make the 9AM departure) etc - the diving is worth it, but if you only have a day, I'd stay local (although Debby is an excellent buddy!!)

All good suggestions - but to make live easier call RJ - excellent operator

If you want to do some of the best diving in FL, go to Jupiter - its 90 miles north of Miami - but then you need to rent a car, get up really early (to make the 9AM departure) etc - the diving is worth it, but if you only have a day, I'd stay local (although Debby is an excellent buddy!!)

What operator in the Juniper area?

I have the weekend penciled in at the end of July do to my AOW dives in the area. (2 Sat. morning, 1 Sat. Night, 2 Sun. morning) After which I will be heading to Orlando to catch-up with the family. I am hoping to do (in addition to deep and navigation) buoyancy, night and either naturalist or search and recovery. So... Reef diing is of particular interest.

I have the following bookmarked... FLL - Sea Experience and Raibow Reef - Key Largo all depending where I land.

Any other recommendations in the Palm Beach to Vero area? or even Tampa/St. Petersbrug for that matter.

Thanks

Steve

In the Palm Beach County area, UnderWater Explorers in Boynton Beach. Kev Metz, the 2009 Divemaster of the Year (no kidding, look it up!) dives with you at no extra charge and will show you all the cool stuff you would miss on your own. A MUST-DIVE if you're in the area!

Thank you all for your responses. Between Miami/Ft Lauderdale/ and even Key Largo (I think would be as far as we would drive), which of the options would be best for reef/fish life?

The colleague I am diving with only has a few dives, and I think most of those were in murky Texas lakes. I am trying to show him the most "tropical" diving possible.

Thank you all for your responses. Between Miami/Ft Lauderdale/ and even Key Largo (I think would be as far as we would drive), which of the options would be best for reef/fish life?

The colleague I am diving with only has a few dives, and I think most of those were in murky Texas lakes. I am trying to show him the most "tropical" diving possible.

IMO, Key Largo. 90% of the reef sites visted are in a sanctuary so the fish life is above average. Others may disagree but that's my vote for healthy reefs and lots of fish life.

Jupiter - not Juniper (don't want you winding up in Alabama, or the Panhandle :rofl3:) - Its in northern Palm Beach County, about 90 miles north of Miami.

I recommend Jupiter Dive Center - excellent

Although if you are a little "rusty" or unsure of your skills, you might want to do a few dives, say, in Boynton (Recommend UW Explorers highly) before Jupiter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom