Spearfishing Tournament & Video Contest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt. Pete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Stop by the Inland Water Divers booth at the 3rd annual Scuba Adventure Day at Lake Pleasant and pick up the details on the following scuba events:

June 5th- 1st Annual Spearfishing Tournament @ Lake Pleasant

July 14th- 1st Annual Phoenix Underwater Film Festival and Contest

Just in case you needed a reason to go diving!

* Spearfishing Update*
Inland Water Divers will be hosting the 1st Annual Spearfishing Tournament at Lake Pleasant on Saturday June 5th. A dive briefing will take place at 7am with the tournament running from 7:30am to 3:30pm. The competition is open to both free divers and scuba divers with an entry fee of $45 per team. Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three teams. Pre-registration is required.

How large are the teams? Will there be separate classes for free-dive and scuba? What are the prize categories? Largest fish, most combined weight? Are Carp and Stripers separate prize categories? I looked on the inland website and didn't notice any specifics.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

This is our first event of this sorts and also for the lake administration so we are trying to keep it simple for the first time out.

In a nut shell:

Free and scuba compete together
1 point per fish and 1 point per pound, carp and striper combined
1st, 2nd, 3rd place, prizes based on number of entries

I will be teaching tonight and then out of town for a few days. Happy to send a registration form.

Pete

Had to work... Missed it. Hopefully next year.

So, How 'bout a report? How did it go? Great time had by all?

Jeff

We had a good time and met some great people. Even though the visibility is the worst I have seen in recent memory we were able to hand out prize money and prizes for the competitors. I want to make sure to thank Dillions for giving everyone that entered the event 20% off their meal and for Chris from Scorpion Bay Marina for being so helpful in allowing the use of the marina as a staging area! We are planning another tournament in the fall, dates to be determined later. By all accounts everyone seemed to have a good time and enjoyed the competition.

1st Place: Spencer Schantz
2nd Place: John Arliene
3rd Place: Joe Scheurn

By the way free divers far out numbered the scuba divers! Lets see if we can do a little better from the scuba community in the fall!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom