scubapro seawing nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are the weirdest looking things, and I was frankly dubious, but I borrowed a pair from a student and played with them in the pool, and I was pleasantly surprised.

They deliver a ton of power in straight forward diving. They feel strange, almost with a trampoline quality, but once you deduce the proper kicking rhythm, they move you through the water amazingly fast. One CAN do frog kick and back kick with them (back kick easier than frog kick, which I think has to do with the little wings on the sides, and how the loading phase of each kick is done) although the frog kick requires some alteration of technique. They are very light, and the stretch straps supplied are comfortable and work well.

They are line traps, and unsuitable for any kind of environment where line is present.

For the average recreation diver, utilizing primarily a flutter-type kick, and with good leg muscles, I think they'd make very nice fins. They do NOT reduce leg muscle strain, because you don't get power out of nothing. Because they are light, they are ideal for people diving in light wetsuits who can't manage heavily negative fins like Jets with metal springs.

That's my take on the Novas.

Lungs
Check the following from Scuba Diving magazine, they like them.
60:Second ScubaLab: SCUBAPRO Seawing Nova | Scuba Diving Magazine

I got my hands on a pair to try out. Hoping to do that this weekend, I like to test them before my trip to Bonaire.
Compared to my very old rockets, these things weigh nothing. I really like the bungee strap, very easy to don and doff.

TSandM
Curious about the frog kick, you mentioned some alteration to the technique. Was it drastic. That's my main concern with these fins, frog and backup kicks.
The review from Scuba Diving Magazine said that were good no matter the style of kick.

Cheers,

You know, I don't remember exactly what I did, but I think I had to slow the loading phase of the kick, because the little tabs cause some resistance, and moving too quickly meant working too hard. Back kick worked better, because the loading phase is parallel to the tabs.

Onespeed, the one thing I was really amazed at with these fins was the power you could get out of them going straight forward. I don't think I have ever swum that fast. I don't like gimmicks, and don't like super expensive fins, and think you can do just fine with the standard old stuff, but these fins were better than I expected and might have some applications for people who often swim in current. Too bad they are line traps, because the power would be nice into flow!

TsandM why do you say they are line traps? they seem better than splits and no worse than jets but I have no experience with what constitutes a line hazard. is it the sharp angle on the sides?

I liked them to swim with and agree with TsandM about having to learn them a little. only tried them once but have considered getting my kids a set so that I can use them sometimes. :D

Yeah, it's the sharp angle on the sides, plus the fact that the little connecting shafts aren't smooth. Line would just love them, I think, and if you got it wound around one, it would be a major pain to get it off. Smooth sided fins for me!

I bought a pair and used them for 2 weeks in Kona, Hawaii. We got home Sunday night.

I was impressed with the acceleration and the speed improvement over straight fins. I was able to back up with ease.

I loaned them to the divemaster for a dive and he was very impressed with the performance.

Understand that I have not tried many or various fins so my experience is limited.

I like them and will keep on using them.

Any one of you could compare these fins with the Atomic smoke the water fins?

Overall performance
Efficiency in currents
Reducing "cramps"

Thanks

I got to try out a set of the Seawing Nova Fins over the weekend.

First off, I use the following fins.
Old set of Rockets, which I love, even though they’re stiff and heavy.
Aqualung Flex, nice light weight fin.

I’ve also tried other fins, names escape me right now, but I’ve never used a split fin.

First thing I noticed was the weight, very light fin, I think the weigh under 2lbs.
The bungee strap makes don and doff really easy.
Not sure about this Power Plate, the bottom sole extends to the back of the heel. Might be a slipping hazard. The card that comes with the fin says the “Power Plate” ensures ultimate power transmission with less leg strain.

As for the dive, these are fast with little leg stress. Acceleration was great.
Flutter kick, no stress on the legs, very easy.
Frog kick worked great, did have to adjust my load a little, the wings added a little resistance when I first tried, but with a slight change in foot position they worked great.
Back kick wasn’t as efficient, but then that might be me and not the fins, I think with a little work and fine tuning the kick should be okay.
Helicopter worked fine.

All in all I think these are a great fin but I’m not sure if the price is justified. I’m still deciding if it’s worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom