OSTC Mk2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gorcio

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone got any experience with the new OSTC Mk2 ? I am looking for opinion from people, who already dived it at least few times, and could tell me several this :
1. display readability under angle view
2. buttons access with thick gloves with undergloves
3. how's battery changing ? is it easy, is compartment sealed well etc
4. how's computer reacting to violating deco stops - does it go on, or hangs up and locks ...

Would be grateful for any remarks. I am planning to get one for TMX diving as a primary, to be backed-up up by the gauge. I dive on the runtime anyways, but would be nice to have a computer back up my brain, shall I screw up badly ...

Last edited:
Hello

You have a forum at the constructor site HW

according to some french and swiss divers i know, it's an interesting computer, and I probably purchase one in july for my OC trimix dives, joined with V-Planner runtimes.
great visibility, the battery is charged by the usb, big buttons.
i think this computer doesn't lock on violating deco, as it is only an help for your brain.

Got really interested in it, went to buy one, found out they dont ship to North America and dont plan on having any representation here either. Shame, looks like a great computer for the price.

did not try deepstop, as Dubois mentioned they are more expensive than in France or Germany. I sent Ordinateurs a few email asking if they will ship to N.A, and never recieved a reply (sent one in english, one in broken french)

And H.W themselves say they won't send it to America.

Anyone got any experience with the new OSTC Mk2 ? I am looking for opinion from people, who already dived it at least few times, and could tell me several this :
1. display readability under angle view
2. buttons access with thick gloves with undergloves
3. how's battery changing ? is it easy, is compartment sealed well etc
4. how's computer reacting to violating deco stops - does it go on, or hangs up and locks ...

Would be grateful for any remarks. I am planning to get one for TMX diving as a primary, to be backed-up up by the gauge. I dive on the runtime anyways, but would be nice to have a computer back up my brain, shall I screw up badly ...

I've been diving one for about 6 months now, and have been quite happy. I purchased it primarily for the display. I do a lot of photography and scootering in pitch black, and trying to juggle a DSLR housing, scooter and a primary light while trying to get a good look at my Vyper got a bit annoying. I dive trimix, but run it in gauge mode, so can't really comment on the deco model angle - my buddies are my backup brains.

1) The display is simply amazing. Readable from any angle, and bright and big enough for even my buddies to read. I've managed to put a couple of scratches on it, though - I'm thinking of putting some kind of protective film on it.
2) The buttons work well with drygloves - however, I don't use the buttons much, only for resetting the timer/avg depth counter.
3) Haven't needed to think about the battery change, the USB charging port is sealed with 2 O-rings, haven't bothered with opening the actual battery door. The battery should give you about 40 hours between charges, and I haven't managed to drain it yet between charges.
4) Can't comment on this, in gauge it doesn't get in the way I run my deco... :D

It's pricey for a bottom timer, but I got a good deal on mine and it's worth it for the ability to get the numbers without disrupting shooting.

//LN

Last edited:
Hi!

Ditto laurin with 1. and 2. Except for the scratches... I put a protective plastic sheet on top of the glass before my first dive with it. My buddies use my computer for reading (my) depth and time as well... even from a distance. The screen is a pure pleasure to look at, and I'm diving in the dark (and silty, and cold) Baltic Sea, mainly.

I dive with thick under gloves under the thick three finger rubber gloves glued to my drysuit, no problems using the buttons. In fact, these are the easiest buttons to use I've experienced so far. It's hard for me to imagine anything more easy to use. The buttons are a major improvement on the OSTC (mark I). As is the screen.

3. I've done two chargings so far, although the battery's been almost full all the time. The chargings have been happening during data transfer, more or less. I haven't bothered opening the battery compartment either. laurin, In my unit the USB port is sealed by three O-rings? The unit's been with me to a depth of 62 meters (around 204 feet, I guess), no problems.

4. During one dive I chose to do the last (oxygen) stop at 5 meters instead of the 6 meters set as the last deco stop in the computer. It nagged at me, but kept calculating the deco ok. To the computer it seemed to be more like an unplanned change of plans, but nothing more drastic. My GFs got slightly higher than planned, but I was conservative enough for this change in planning (and you can actually tell it to show you what the (highest) GF in the calculations is, so you can judge for yourself whether or not the violation is worth it, if you trust the calculation).

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Otto

Back
Top Bottom