What equipment to buy next???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishtank22

Registered
Reaction score
My Fiance and I were just OW Certified this weekend (though horrendous Scuba Network in NYC - Thats a whole other post to come).

Anyway. We loved diving and can't wait for our honeymoon in Hawaii. Along with our mask, snorkel, fins, and 3.2mil wetsuits, we were thinking of getting some more of our own equipment.

So with that said...

1. What would you suggest to be the next piece of equipment to buy?

2. Is a 3.2 ok for Hawaii?

3. Is it worth lugging this stuff all the way to HI from NY? Or can we expect rental equipment to be ok?

Thanks

Hey Fishtank- Are you planning on diving locally also, or just on tropical getaways?

Depending on the answer, you might get different recommendations on gear.

PS- If you can afford it, and don't mind some extra luggage, you will definitely find it worthwhile to bring your own gear when you travel. The extra comfort and safety factor is a good thing.

Scott

Well, I think most of our diving will be on tropical getaways. The minimal visibility in this area is not that enticing.

As for upcoming trips, We will be in hawaii for 2 weeks next month, and we're going to the Bahamas in May.

i think we will however make frequent trips to Dutch Springs in PA. For those that don't know, Dutch Springs is a quarry catering soley to divers. Pretty cool for local diving in the metro area.

Thanks for the feedback.

You didn't mention the time frame for your trip to Hawaii. If it is soon I wouldn't let that force you into buying gear in a hurry. There are so many choices out there. Many new divers quickly run out and buy all their gear before checking out all the different brands and styles. Often they do this based on the recommendations of their LDS, which may carry only a few brands, and of course recommend those brands. I suggest you take your time before spending your money on gear that will last you for many years to come, unless of course you are one of those "gadget divers" that buys every new piece of gear that comes on the market. This board is a great place for you to get opinions and recommendations on gear. Your 3/2 wetsuit should be fine for Hawaii. Congratulations and good luck.:shades:

Gilligan's got you covered. Take your time, and buy the best you can afford.

To answer question two, it seems like you're ready to concentrate on your life support equipment. I would go for BC's and regs before tanks. Rental tanks are pretty good, and you can't take yours with you when you own them.

You might also need some heavier exposure suits for Dutch Springs if you plan to go deep, or other times than mid-summer. That 2nd thermocline might send you packing in a 3/2 :wink: You'll also eventually want to try the local ocean diving up here, which will require the thicker suits anyway.

Scott

fishtank22 once bubbled...
. Along with our mask, snorkel, fins, and 3.2mil wetsuits, we were thinking of getting some more of our own equipment.

Is it worth lugging this stuff all the way to HI from NY? Or can we expect rental equipment to be ok?
Definitely take your fins/mask/snorkel and wetsuit. The 3/2 wetsuits will be perfect for snorkeling. They should be enough for dives also, although if you chill easily you might add a beanie.

Rental gear I've seen in Hawaii has been in better than average condition --- prices are high, but quality is good.

I recommend renting for the first 10 or 20 dives. Take careful note of what BCs you like. Logbooks are a good place for noting what brand, specific model, and size of BC worked well for you.

is that you buy equipment (after snorkeling equipment of course) in this order.

1. Wetsuit
2. BCD
3. Regulator
4. Dive Computer

1 & 2 will greatly help you with your balance in the water. It will afford you the opportunity to adjust the locations of your weights, allow you to get the best possible fit, and have a consistent setup that will ease your refinement of your buoyancy control. With balance and control, your diving will be easier, more fun, and longer (as you will be using less air).

Often times 3 & 4 are purchased at the same time, but need not be. I put the reg before a dive computer because, candidly, I am not all that trusting of rental gear and depending on where I am diving, factors such as depth and ease of breathing come into play.

I agree with others to take your time on selecting gear and make use of 'rental opportunities' to try both jacket and rear inflation BCDs (if available) as well as weight-integrated and non-weight integrated BCDs. Others on here will likely suggest backplates and wings.

As you can probably deduce, whenever I travel, I bring everything but tanks and weights. That way I 'know' my gear and only have to make adjustments for the local conditions (i.e. amount of weight, thickness of the exposure suit)

Craig

Hey all..

Thanks so much for all the input. It definately helps a lot.

I will definately try to demo some gear in hawaii and take note of what I like and didn't like.

Dutch springs was a bit chilly. and I was only at 30ft for me during my OW training... Can wait to go deeper!

I would definately feel more comfortable with my own gear. The equipment scuba network rents is garbage. The BCDs were all crap. From now on I'm going to a place that rents better equipment.

Thanks again for all your help.

Fish

Don't buy gear just to have gear before this trip....

If you don't have it already you could pick up a small light, an inexpensive dive tool (BFKs are not necessary), and a goody bag (catch bag - a small drawstring bag will do fine for now. But make sure you are aware of what treasures you find are acceptable for keeping if you so choose to. I enjoy finding jewelry when diving and a small bag will come in handy.)

As mentioned before, you should demo and research gear before making your purchase. Furthermore this is a great place to get suggestions. That being said. It is very unwise to make hasty purchases of gear.

Additionally, a lot of LDS that have pools for training will allow you to try on gear in their pool to see what works best for you. I would however, like to suggest that you do not purchase gear without the opportunity to research and try out a BP&W. There are few places where you can try this gear and it is customized to the individual so using a friends takes a lot from both the owner and the borrower. However, (plug) Extreme Exposure will rent and take the time to explain and properly fit a BP&W rig for you and your wife to try. Don't cut yourself short the opportunity to try one before you invest. That would be the best advice I could give you.

When I lived in Hawaii, I rarely used a wet suit. If all of your diving is going to be in warm waters, then buy one,.. If not wait. Plenty of gear rental over there.

Buying gear will depend upon how much diving you do.

You will not need a computer for Hawaii. Most of the diving is shore diving and shallow. Being a valcanic island the shore line drops off quickly and deeply. It has no barrier reef so there are very few wrecks. Mostly just shallow reefs and fish.

Buy size and color sensitive gear first, i.e. BCD you do not want to get to the shop to find out that all they have are pink bcd that are too small.

You will need a wet suit for the type of diving you do. remember there are two types of divers,..those that pee in their suits and those that lie about it. When you descend and the pressure is put on your bladder, you will want to pee.

Computers are a good choice.

Weight belt for local diving only,...don't waste money on a tank.

Then a regulator.

BCD's and wet suits are size and color sensitive. Buy them first.

Computers give you more bottom time

Tanks and weights are offered art dive operators and are cheap to rent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom