Suunto Vyper Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello All,

New to the ScubaBoard. I'm considering purchasing the Suunto Vyper Air wrist as my primary dive computer and would appreciate any comments. I'm also particularly interested in the electronic compass function.

(Primary Diving: Wrecks off Long Island (NY) and open water in the Virgin Islands. Cert Level: Divemaster. Need EANx/Nitrox function.)

At least initially, I'll be using the wrist unit only and not the wireless air integration. But I would like to expand into that at some point.

I'm also interested in alternative recommendations.

Thanks much in advance.

The Vyper Air is a great DC with all the functionality you require. You could also look at the D9 and Helo2, but the Vyper should do fine. I am not a big fan of the digital compass on any of the Suunto's. They react to quick, whereas analogue are smooth and “slow”. I would recommend getting analogue wrist mount compass.

I have had the Vyper Air since about mid-last year. It is a great computer. I love the air integration, but I also use a SPG as a backup. I use it for Jersey wreck diving as well as travel. Although the digital compass works very well, keep in mind that it won't help you when you are near wrecks. The D9 is also nice, but I have trouble seeing anything that small these days.

If you do a search the general consensus is that the digital compass works but the analogue compass is much better. BTW many places are selling the Vytec for "sale" prices as it is going to be phased out. I like the display better than the new matrix display.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom