Best Alaska Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakat

Reaction score
Hi all, this winter I am going to keep my eyes open for cheap last-minute fares to Alaska. I would want to go where I can dive of course. What operators & locations can you recommend? I don't want to do ice diving, so how far north could I go? Anchorage? Sitka? Juneau? I am a cold water diver with drysuit & all the trimmings. Any ideas?

-kate

I don't know about the diving but if you get to Sitka and need your soul saved the presbi. pastor there is my aunt.

I thought this was about diving in Baked Alaskas... sounds cool to me, I think I'll dive right in...

:tease:

Alaska's a pretty place, don't Juneau. And a good place to find adhesive for my ig's.

(runs away from SeaWolf's nose slap)

Yeah...

But it's hard to keep my Berings Strait... But hey, Yukon do a lot, while you are there! Like watching the sun not set in the summer! Is that why they call it the Aurora BORING-alas??? I do like their "un-official" state song though... yep, you guessed it...

Nome, Nome, on the range!
Where the reindeer and polar bear play!
Where seldom is found,
Any gold on the ground!
And you try to keep warm all the day.....

I guess we'll "seal" this with an "Eskimo Kiss"...

I live and dive daily in Ketchikan, Ak. (moving to Florida in a week and a half.) I would recommend Ketchikan over almost anywhere in the world. Wind and Water Charters is a good outfit in Ketchikan owned by a husband and wife duo(Both instructors).
I have been instructing through them. There is another shop in town that runs a poor operation Deep Six Diving Service. Deep Six caters more to harvest divers and is very unpredictable and unreliable. The owner also has a shop Southeast watersports in Sitka.
The diving here is phenomenal.
I would recommend a few days here and a couple of days in Craig Alaska.
Be warned, Alaska diving is not hand-held diving. There is not anyone to tote your tanks and lug your weights around.
You can e-mail me directly if you have any questions at jdrumph(at)yahoo.com.

Hi DiveSherpa, thanks for the info!
I believe me, I don't need a dive caddy or anyone to hold my hand (well not most of the time anyway :). Then again today I feel like a dive in NetDoc's baked alaska would be good. Can you dive year round in Ketchican?

-kate

The best diving of the year is from December to April. Viz is out of this world(for cold water) and weather dictates that there's not much else to do.

Way cool! So why are you running off to Florida?

-kate

I'm moving to Florida for cave diving, wetsuits, and, since I'm an instructor, more students. If I could just dive for pleasure and not worry about funds, I would definately stay and buy a compressor. As it is, deep wrecks beckon, and caving is a step in the right direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom