Headed to Dahab, are the safari's worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BadabingM3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've posted some questions about hotels and area. So now I'd like to ask what you all think about the dive safari's that most of the resorts/dive shops offer? I know it's a fage questions but what I mean is since I'm traveling alone and will have to pair up with others, diving the house reef's might not be a good option onless I can hook up with other divers on that day. So some shops advertise the dive safari's on jeeps or camel. Some are a overnight in the desert and dive type activity. Sounds pretty cool to do so just wanted to hear all your experiances with this. Thanks,

Rob

Ras Abu Galum is nice if you can do it by boat. Its not worth the stench, discomfort, head,dust and slowness suffering on the back of a flea infested beast for 1.5 hours each way though!

Do a boat to Gabr el Bint or similar. Or just dive the 10 or so local dive sites that dont need a boat or a camel like everyone else!

We were in Dahab in 2007. At first, we were planning on doing one of the camel safaris, if only because of the uniqeness factor. But after experiencing how hot it is there, and thinking about all that time on a camel, and seeing how much it cost, we decided against it.

"Jeep safari" shore dives are the standard in and around Dahab. Takes anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to get just about anywhere local, and you're usually out of the sun in the back of the vehicle. They're usually one-tank dives, unless it's farther out like Bells or Blue Hole.

Sure is nice to look forward to a shower or a dip in the pool back at the hotel after each dive!!

Since you're traveling alone, you'd have to get fixed up with buddies no matter where you dive. Any dive shop should be able to fix you up.

You're going to love Dahab!

Good point about riding a camel. Might sound fun but 2hrs on a stinky camel don't sound like fun. Jeep or boat sounds more practical. can't wait.

all is good and not worth even worrying about!!!

the Ras Abu Galum(RAG) camel safari is an awesome experience!!! I did it and not keen on having my nuts cracked so walked with the guide, having a chat, few cig's and a bottle of water. It only takes 1.5-2hrs anyway. It's a really nice overnight experience away from everything and all that.

The dive sites not in front of central Dahab are the best ones to do. Didn't rate the local diving at all

I enjoyed it that much last year I'm back there tomorrow:) (volcano eruption depending)

Abu Galum on land (on or off camel) is a top experience. Do it as an overnight trip. Try and do the dive that is a bit further up from the main dive sites (where the huts are). Extra cost of taxi involved but top sites. Enjoy.

Gabr El Bint was nice the other day:

..and all that without there arse-numbing pain and tedium of a few hours on a festering, smelly camel!

Gabr El Bint was nice the other day:

..and all that without there arse-numbing pain and tedium of a few hours on a festering, smelly camel!

Few Hours? You must've had a 3 legged camel. it takes 1.5 hours max. And you don't get sea sick on a camel, or walking beside it. I understand your bias though, working for Poseidon n all :)

gabr el bint is ALWAYS nice, though the south side can be a bit dull. My perfect day is Shugarat 1st dive, Gabr el Bint North (lagoon side) 2nd dive.

A camel Safari might be fun, for the picture experiance I guess, jeep or boat would be better. Can't be any worse than sitting at a base in the middle of Afghanistan smelling burnt garbage and human **** ponds all day. Yep, that's where I'm at right now. Can't wait to get out of this dump of a country and enjoy the real life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom