Seavision custom lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm thinking of having Seavision grind a custom lens for my Tusa mask.

I've been a supporter of Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego for some time, but I just want to get away from thick bonded lenses. They can no longer get bifocal blanks in high index glass.

Any comments on Seavision's work, when cutting lenses for a non-Seavision mask??? Fit of lens? Quality?

Thanks,

You might want to verify that they are going to grind the lens. I've been a very happy user of their gauge reader masks for years (have about 6) but on my last one I asked for a custom prescription. It came back glued onto the regular mask glass panel. I'm OK with that, but don't want you to be disappointed if you are expecting them to grind your prescription into your existing mask's glass panels. (hope that makes sense)

BTW, have you tried their regular gauge reader masks? They work for most people, it's just that going to a rebreather I needed a lens that went all the way across both mask glass panels. The gauge reader lens are ground into the glass panels, but are located close to the nose. I can't turn my head as much on the RB as I could on OC due to the breathing loop so the location of the magnification in the gauge reader just doesn't work for me.

Thanks Rip; I didn't realize Seavision has the option of bonding the lens. If thats the case, I'd just stay with PDM.

As to gauge readers, they would fine, if I only wanted to see my gauges :wink:, but I'm blind as a bat. My arms starting getting way too short 15 years ago :D. I dive only OC, so field of vision isn't as critical for me.

I just got my Sea Vision Ultra. My prescription with bifocals. It is a ground lens not bonded. $235 directly from Sea Vision and got it in 4 days.

Not Sure about that. Mine have the line but when your in the water with them you don't even notice.

Update on my bi-focals; I ordered from Seavision, on an XS Scuba z-Duo. Came back in about a week; put them on, on land, and long distance looked great, but couldn't see more than 3 inches thru the bi-focal part.

Looking at the receipt, it looked like the used a completely different script for my bi-focal, a +7.5 add, and not the +2.5 I requested.

I was also concerned about the small inside corner size of the bifocals; I'm used to PDN glue ins, that use the entire bottom half of the lens for the bifocal part. Again John said, "try them in the water, and you'll see the field of vision if quite wide.

Called them, and left a voice mail; got a call back in a few minutes from John, laughing. he said, try them underwater; the bi-focal is on the outside of the lens, so script is much different. So, OK, I into the pool, and yup, could see great, both vision and field. Must be Magic :)

The problem I did have however, was the masked leaked like a sieve thru the lens/frame. I wasn't happy about that - guess they don't leak test - sent back, Seavision repaired and got back to me immediately. ( I'm in SoCal, they're in Florida ).

Dove 2 days later, and vision was great.

Rickyd I had the same exact problem. First their advertisements are very misleading IMO. "Any Mask, Any Prescription, no bonding or gluing to lens" So I asked about getting lens in my Atomic Subframe and my wife's TUSA. No can do. To big we can only bond lens in those masks. So I wound up getting the Ultra. I hate the Mr.Magoo look of the bonded masks. So the masks finally get here and I can't see a darn thing through the corner lens and it was a + 7 not the +2. My wife's mask leaked like a sieve. She was a little upset. Sent it back and got it repaired no problems. Got the mask in the pool and you can read just fine at about 18 inches out. I like the masks, my big issue is the advertisement.

Just got off the phone with Sea Vision and Prescription Dive Masks about bifocals. I think I got it straight: the difference between the two suppliers is that Prescription Dive Masks puts full prescription lenses including bifocals in a single lense behind tempered glass. Sea Vision, on the other hand, adds the bifocal on the front of the lenses so they have to make the bifocal prescription much stronger. Above water, the bifocal part does not work. I went with it anyway since it was $140.00 cheaper and the mask was the same as my old one so I knew it would fit. Hope I don’t trip over my feet! I can still cancel if someone knows I have made a mistake. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom