Dive report--Eastern Spain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did one (one) count 'em one dive in Spain last week, due to my hectic schedule of parties, hangovers and, well, laying around on the beach like a basset hound. The one dive I did get to was really nice though.
I dove with Amigos del Mar, a small and friendly operation in Javea, right next to Cabo de la Nau. (if you look at a map, it's the pointy thing that sticks out of the east coast of Spain).
I showed up at the boat dock with only a bikini and my own regulator, and they gave me the rest of the equipment, all for about $35, dive included.
The DMs were very professional, although nobody asked me for my c-card. They just asked me how many dives I had, what cert I had and the agency, and when my last dive was, and if I had insurance! He then watched me set up my gear, and for the the first half of the dive, he watched me very closely to see that I knew what I was doing.
The boat was spartan and painfully slow, but it was a short ride out, only about 30 min.
Water was v warm on the surface, about 82 F, but was cold at depth, about 58 F, I wore a 5 mm full suit with hood, which was just right. (yes, it was theirs, and I am trying not to think about the fact that I wore a rented wetsuit).
It was much like the climate in California, although the sea life was a lot less abundant.
Viz was at least 50', quite excellent. We rolled off the boat next to a cliff complete with caves and grottoes, so the landscape underwater was plenty interesting. There were no corals, but there were varied sponges and plants, and many pretty wrasses and damselfish. We didn't see too many larger fish, save for a few barracuda. The most remarkable thing was the octopi, they were BIG, and there were a LOT of them! And it was during the day! (if you see an octopus during the day, doesn't that mean he has rabies or something?) :eek:ut:
I saw at least ten in my 45 min dive, and all were doing their best to blend in with the rocks. I love when they change texture to match as well, and I saw several with spikes on them.
I got to shake hands with a couple of them, they were quite tame. One let me rub his forehead, and seemed to like it, as he went from red to brownish-blue as soon as I touched him. I asked the DM if he had a boat at night, and he said no, nobody else did either, it is too much of a hassle for most operations. People do it on their own though, wish I knew someone with a boat. I bet the night diving there is great.
Next time, I shall go out on some of the wrecks, I am told there are bazillions of them out there, and some are really old.

It is not what I would call spectacular diving, but it is still extremely good, and I recommend it highly if you find yourself in the area.

Sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for the report. I want to do some diving on my trip to Spain in several years.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the report! I will keep it in mind for a next trip too.

I just got back from Spain and wanted to do some dives there too but decided not to go. I found it too much of a hassle to find out how I could reach the dive spot (it was "far" (1,5 hour) from where I was) as my Spanish wasn't good enough yet to inquire how I could get there...

oh well... I'll go again some time! Spain is quite "close" to where I live, so I'm sure I will go again one day.

Adios,

Watersprite

Watersprite, if you stick to the Costa Del Sol or the Costa Blanca, you will find a large population of UK natives there, so you won't need much if any Spanish.
I just popped into the first dive shop I saw, and when I spoke to them in Spanish, they answered me in English!

Hi there,

I'm new hear on the scubaboard and from Spain.

I'm Dutch an live in Spain at the Costa Blanca near Denia and Javea.

If anyone needs to know addresses here in the area of Denia ,where they speak English, please ask me.

I will start my diving lessons soon .....hope I like it.

Hasta Luego,
Louise

Dear Louise,

My son and I will be staying in Alicante and going to school the month of July. We want to dive as much as possible. Our Spanish is good enough to dive with anyone (we don't need an English-speaking dive shop.) Who would you suggest to dive with?

Also, I'm concerned about being warm enough. I keep hearing that people are using 5mm wetsuits. I'm hoping to get by with 3mm - and possibly a hood. Do you think that will be enough warmth in July?

SMW

Back
Top Bottom