Deep Horizon Oil Spill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Good luck to the folks along the Gulf coast in the immediate vicinity in dealing with the spill. Time will tell what degree the spill will impact SE Florida and the Keys. Fingers crossed that it really doesn't but it is too far off to call at this point.

Put together some links and information about the spill, response and impacts in one place at:

Deep Horizon Oil Spill - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Wow, thanks! Permission to share on my Facebook?

Here's another interesting link: Hair for oil spills program

And not just hair, but fur too! Tell your hairdresser, barber, and dog groomer about the program!
History of the mat & boom:
Matter of Trust is collaborating with thousands of salons throughout the US and abroad, that donate their hair clippings to soak up oil spills. Last year over 2,600 oil spills occurred in the world. They weren't all are high profile, but most had an impact on the environment. Phil McCrory, a hair stylist from Alabama, first discovered how hair can help. He was watching CNN coverage on the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill. He noticed the fur on the Alaskan otters completely soaked with oil. He began testing how much oil he could collect with the hair clipping from his salon. Phil then invented the hairmat which has other uses as well. Hair also provides a slow protein release which is excellent for flower growers. For more information on hair as a natural fertilizer, please see Phil and our friends at SmartGrow.
The US has over 300,000 hair salons and each cuts an average of a pound of hair per day. Salons generously pay out of pocket for postage to send their swept up hair clippings to our donated warehouse spaces. We do the fundraising for this program and outreach through placing our posters in participating salons and with the help of the press.

Sure go ahead Debbie. I will try to keep the page up to date. The slow rate of updates currently should make that more doable. I am looking at doing something on reef coral impact prospects as well. Hopefully, the plume will never make it that far but it might.

Sure go ahead Debby. I will try to keep the page up to date. The slow rate of updates currently should make that more doable. I am looking at doing something on reef coral impact prospects as well. Hopefully, the plume will never make it that far but it might.
Thank you! Shared on FB, and you and I are friends there so you'll see it.

Thanks folks, hope it never comes to our area in any major way. Still, there is a good chance it might. To try to help updates make more sense, I've split the topic into two stickie threads at:

** KITER BUZZ ** - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

They deal with the source area near the blowout and us folks to the east & northward up the Straits of Florida and beyond.

Good luck

I for one am a bit surprised that there is not more info posted about the oil spill. I thought this would be like a clearing house for all current info and contacts for what we, as divers, might do. I personally see this spill as the death knell for the Gulf, it's fisheries, the breeding grounds for many if not most pelagic fish, tourism and the economic stability of the state of Florida. Perhaps it's just too big for people like us. After all, BP, the coasties and government agencies have worked hard to keep people like us away while reporting that 6 birds here and 10 there have been rehabilitated and released. As if that made it all OK.

Look, back in the late '60's when they sank the first offshore wells off of Santa Barbara CA, one leaked for 9 days. The result was marching in the streets. People burned their gas cards. The EPA was actually born as a direct result of that spill. This leak is of a greater volume in one day than Santa Barbara was in it's entirety.

Perhaps someone who is a better organizer than I arrange a petition to name all people in the employ of BP and the Mines and Minerals agency who were instrumental in this spill. Charge them criminally. Confiscate all property and pensions and apply those funds to remediation. Since BP will not be required to compensate the victims families, perhaps that confiscated money can be given to them. They died with the same nobility of those in the twin towers on 9/11.

WHERE THE HELL IS THE OUTRAGE??

I also expected that there would be more reports from local divers who went out to see the Whale sharks off of the western coast of central Florida. Even if the reasons that they are present are such as disaster, this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity for divers from Sarasota to Cedar Key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom