Best mask for a broad face?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BB1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am cursed :wink: with big head, a broad face and the inevitable lines and creases that come with age.

My current Mares mask allows a little seep of water in all the time and its getting a little tiring having to clear it all the time.

I have tried vaseline on my top lip and that helps for a while abut the water level rising in still going to happen.

Would prefer a black mask as well.

Thanks

I've seen a lot of different faces work well with an Atomic Sub-Frame mask.....might be worth a shot.

Thanks I'll check them out tomorrow at my LDS!

I've got a broad face, and I just bought an aqualung micro low volume mask - it looks like it's going to be way too small for your face at first, but it the most amazing mask i've ever wore.
I have a mares pure vision and a liquidskin and both of them, though much bigger, leak with my big face.

Check it out if you have an aqualung LDS in your area! Also much wider field of vision.

I have tried a lot of different masks and it sometimes isn't the width of a person's face that causes leaks but rather the bone structure cus I have a fairly long narrow face yet I have problems with the atomic mask as it squeezes my face near the eye sockets yet I fit fine with an Apollo frameless that is made for wider faces.

You can consider frameless masks as generally they allow more movement with the skirts and one of the widest mask I've seen is the tusa M-14 VISUALATOR.

10 Frameless Masks | Scuba Diving Magazine
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/2006/10/the-12-best-wide-view-masks

However, the best thing would be for you to try them on at the store.

SangP

Sorry but I will not purchase from Aqualung or Scubapro on principle as I do not agree with their business model/practices.

The Apollo might of got a look in but I got such a good price on an Atomic sub frame that I couldn't say no - LDS on special even beat LeisurePro!

Fit feels ok and seems to seal in teh shop with no real effort - it'll get it's true test in a week or so when I next dive!

Thought I'd feedback on the final outcome on the mask.

Big thanks to KJvander for the recommendation of the Atomic subframe - havent used vaseline at all now, takes a little adjusting once under water to get it to sit right then I only need to clear a few times per dive instead of every 5 or 10 minutes! Well happy with that!!

:D :D

Back
Top Bottom