Shearwater Predator vs Dive Rite Nitek X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Nitek line is a solid line of computers, and Dive Rite has been pretty decent in my opinion. The Nitek X operates just like the previous Nitek computers, and is very intuitive in operation. I've picked one up, and knew how to work everything right off the bat.

That being said, the biggest functional difference is the Shearwater will monitor three PO2 cells and the Nitek X only monitors one. That's the biggest drawback in my opinion.

So, if you're in or about to join the rebreather game, go with a Shearwater over the Nitek. However, if you only plan on OC technical diving, the Nitek X has a great display, is really simple to use, will offer everything you need and the price point ain't that bad.

Just my .02

I don't really have the money for CCR anytime soon. I have the desire, but by the time I can afford it, I will probably have purchased other computers anyway. We are talking many years from now. I was a little worried about the screen on the Nitek, as compaired to the Predator. The black backround, and color lettering on the the Predator, just seems easier on the eyes. But I have not had either one in my hand, nor on a dive to see how much of a difference it really is. The specs on the Nitek are outstanding, right out of the box. The predator I would be tossed between is the lowest model, so it would be TRIMIX but no CCR.

Jeremy

I have not seen the Nitek in person so not sure I have however played with shearwater predator and it seems to be a great computer. Nice clean and clear screen and from playing with it controls seem easy to get used to. Other one you may want to look at would be the Liquid Vision X1 its on the same platform as those and equally as good.

@ Calvin Tang

I am asking about the Nitek X, which has only been on the market for just over a year, if I recall correctly. I think it was January or so of 2009, when the beta units were out for testing.

The other thing I am concerned about is the software for the Dive logs. I have messed with Dive Rite Workbench, and the shearwater program. I think I like the Shearwater software better.

I'll admit, the Shearwater logging software is pretty fantastic.

Regarding the Nitek (HE) vs. The Nitek X, yea, the Nitek X is the current model. Funtionally it is very close to the Nitek X though, the controls are the same, options are pretty much the same. The Nitek HE was a great computer.

But, the problem with the Nitek X, is that development started a very long time ago, and only in the last year and a half or so, did it come to market. When the computer was originally designed, and conceived, no one was monitoring three cells. And as such, Dive Rite wasn't concerned with making a computer that did so. Unfortunately, by the time The Nitek X was actually being produced, Shearwater was leading the CCR market because the GF and Pursuit were reading three cells.

I have an X1 and can't say enough good things about the OLED display. When I was stirring up the silt searching for the "lost" line in my recent cave course, the instructor hovering above me never had to turn on a light to check on me--he said he could always see the X1's display and know where I was. That by itself would lead me to the Shearwater instead of the Nitek.

Last edited:
Well, I made my decission, and decided to get the predator. I opted for the prot-sa. This is the base line model, but has limited upgrades. I got it brand new for a great price (just under 1000.00)

Reason is, I like the OLED display on the Predator, but I also like the dive log software that Shearwater supplies. I messed around with the Workbench software from Dive Rite, and it was good for planning the dives and messing around with deco and bottom times (using it like V-planner, or IDECO), but I think to try and use it to keep track of my dives, I would get irrated with it. Shearwater seems to have a nice little program, and very simple. I should get this in about a week or so. Really looking forward to it.

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom