Help! Quick reply needed - How to get to Dahab from Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks

I'm going on a last minuite hol to Dahab in the morning. I usually get my LDC to arrange my transfer, but they are Dahab style laid back and have not got back to me to confirm/arrange this.

As a contingency. How can I get from Sharm Airport to Dahab on a budget??? Also, I may just head into Sharm for the night to sort things. What is the cheapest way to get to Sharm?(taxi's are a rip off!)

Hope RSS will come to the rescue:)

Many thanks

Darryl

Hope RSS will come to the rescue:)
:D:D

You can go one of two ways. The first is to take a taxi. Pay him something between 150 and 200 LE only. It's preferable to reach an agreement with the driver before you take the ride.

The second is to take the bus. The only bus that goes from Sharm to Dahab is Shark El Delta (East Delta). However, you'll have to take a taxi to the bus station (East Delta one of course. Take care there are several bus stations in Sharm), take the bus to Dahab (dirt cheap), then take a taxi from Dahab's bus station to the hotel (5 to 10 LE if you're within Dahab city; neither the Canyon road nor the southern part).

Also it's better to reach an agreement with the taxi driver in Sharm if you're going option 2.

Have a nice trip.

Cheers RSR! I knew you could come to the rescue quckly!

Do you frequent a bar in the evening? I owe you a drink for the advice you have given me over the years!

btw I can't believe you can get a taxi from airport to dahab for less than 25 euro! bargain!

What he said (although too late now!). Taxi from Dahab <> Airport is around 175LE (usually a minibus with only you on) and takes just over 1hr.

Buses are around and can to Dahab for about 20LE (plus taxi to bus station in sharm and taxi from station in Dahab so totalling maybe 70LE). Given the infrequent times and issues with punctuality i'd get a private car any day.

taxi. And you can get it for that, you have to arrange and agree on the price before you get in the taxi. And don't let them sucker you. Walk to the next cab, if they won't negotiate down. They will drop. And really forget the bus,( shudder).

Here's our experience of the journey.
We went up to Dahab from Sharm last September, on the East Delta Bus. The one way price was 12.5 L.E. each. Very cheap - I'm tight fisted with money, so a bargain I thought, however.........
The bus was very old and grimey and stunk of stale farts. The bus driver kept switching off the air con to help the bus gain elevation into the hills (the engine was obviously well knackered as it was guffing out smoke like a mobile volcano).
On the way down from the hills, I thought I was starring in the film "Duel" by Stepen King. The bus just got faster and faster. The driver was obviously trying to go all the way down without touching the breaks. The bus was leaning scarily as we took the many bends at Moto G.P. speeds. One minute we were being crushed against the window and the next avoiding falling into the aisle!!!. It was $%^&ing unpleasant to put it mildly.
I almost forgot to mention - on the way just outside Sharm, the bus stopped at a check point. An official got on the bus and starting demanding I.D. and passports. Well my divemaster friend who we were visiting in Dahab had forgotten to mention this might happen - he can be a "right plonker at times". Well we were told to get off the bus and the official kept demanding I.D. My reply was I was not leaving Egypt, so didn't need to carry them (the arguing went on for maybe 15 - 20 minutes). I did get the strong impression that he was looking for a financial donation,- but being tightfisted - I don't give those.
Anyway, next time we go to Dahab for the day, we will haggle for a cheap taxi ride.

Back
Top Bottom