Shooting a SMB: Left hand or right hand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Van Isle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,
when orally inflating the SMB and when shooting, do you manage, inflate, and deploy the bag with the left hand (so you can still deploy the long hose if necessary) while the right hand removes the reg from your mouth?

OR,

do you manage the the bag and deploy with your right hand (to keep it clear of bottles on the left) while your left removes the reg from your mouth?

What if there's a scooter stowed on the right shoulder?

Or is it a best fit per scenario kinda thing?

Many thanks,
VI

edit: I realize now that I can't change the title of the thread. I hope my mom doesn't read this.

edit: I realize now that I can't change the title of the thread. I hope my mom doesn't read this.

Fixed to keep mom happy. :wink:

I use my left hand primarily.

Our Fundies instructor said either right or left-- it's personal preference.

I like the left for easy reg access. If you need to vent, the right may be better.

Hi folks,
when orally inflating the SMB and when shooting, do you manage, inflate, and deploy the bag with the left hand (so you can still deploy the long hose if necessary) while the right hand removes the reg from your mouth?

OR,

do you manage the the bag and deploy with your right hand (to keep it clear of bottles on the left) while your left removes the reg from your mouth?

What if there's a scooter stowed on the right shoulder?

Or is it a best fit per scenario kinda thing?

Many thanks,
VI

I was taught to do it with the left hand. You deploy the SMB and still can easily deploy the LH.

I fail to see how the bottles will interfere with the SMB deployment, they are way off from the area.

Ends up being the right hand for me. When I first practiced shooting bags, I had to make a lot of buoyancy adjustments, and keeping the bag in the right hand made that easier. Now, it's just become a habit to keep the bag in the right hand, though I imagine I could move an object from one hand to another if needed :)

You should not be needing to vent :)

Like I said - I like the left :)

But I noticed some of the beginners who struggled a bit with buoyancy control found the right more functional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom