Question when using hoseless air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hazmat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Oceanic GEO but have been thinking of getting an ATOM for the integrated hoseless air. For those who have this type of setup, do you still keep your console with depth/air/compass connected for backup?

Thanks.

Small spg at that, with a tiny hose. Saves turning the unit on to check pressure and lets you keep diving if something happens...

Clip mine to my chest so I can always see it.

I just use the hoseless system otherwise get the hose version of the air integrated system.

I just use the hoseless system otherwise get the hose version of the air integrated system.

I've had (in no particular order):

1. The transmitter battery go bad after one dive (with brand new battery).
2. The transmitter decide to eat batteries at a rate of one battery per month.
3. The transmitter to loose pairing (not transmitter fault, but effect is the same).

4. The transmitter to get the tiny tube plugged and not work.

I need a wrist unit (vision issues, I use split lens, and the close one has to be in your trailing eye, which is my right one, so the left is for distance). I use the transmitter to monitor pressure, show air usage after the dive, but I don't 100% trust them. I have a backup computer system also, so having a standard spg is a good thing.

If I'm just diving single tank, NDL diving... I just use the hoseless. I've never lost the link between the two for more than a few seconds.

If I'm doing anything more involved... I use a backup SPG - just a plain one, clipped to my side on my waist strap.

If I'm just diving single tank, NDL diving... I just use the hoseless. I've never lost the link between the two for more than a few seconds.

If I'm doing anything more involved... I use a backup SPG - just a plain one, clipped to my side on my waist strap.

Thanks, Howard. For pretty much all recreational diving, I really like the thought of what the ATOM does. I love my GEO but would love to have the air pressure gauge on there. I've heard enough positive comments on it that I am willing to trust it. I guess from my gauge console, the only thing I'd have missing is the compass. Do you use something like the Suunto, which clips to the BC? And what computer do you have?

I've seen the announcements of the ATOM 3.0. From the images I've seen, I prefer the aesthetics of the 2.0. I wonder if there will be anything in it that would make it better than the 2.0 for my purposes. I figure I could also get a good deal on a 2.0 once the 3.0 is announced.

It looks just like a Telefunken U471

With leather?

I've had (in no particular order):

1. The transmitter battery go bad after one dive (with brand new battery).
2. The transmitter decide to eat batteries at a rate of one battery per month.
3. The transmitter to loose pairing (not transmitter fault, but effect is the same).

4. The transmitter to get the tiny tube plugged and not work.

I need a wrist unit (vision issues, I use split lens, and the close one has to be in your trailing eye, which is my right one, so the left is for distance). I use the transmitter to monitor pressure, show air usage after the dive, but I don't 100% trust them. I have a backup computer system also, so having a standard spg is a good thing.

I have a transmitter thats over 12+ years old and haven't had a problem. An if it did make a slow ascent to the surface. Maybe time for J valve to come back (LOL)

Back
Top Bottom