Suunto transmitter - what is your opinion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theriel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,
I wanted to ask about your opinion as regards wireless transmitters. I have never used/seen any of those but I do have Vytec DS so I have been considering the possibility of expanding its functionality.

I found the idea quite good:
1.I will have my gas consumption merged with the log - so I could easily check my SAC rate and how my abilities progress (or deteriorate ;])
2.I will more often get to know the state of my gas - as I will see it not only when I check normally the supply but also when I look at the depth.

Obviously, the investment is quite high (almost the price of a new computer) and I was wondering whether it is really justified.

What is your opinion?

Are they accurate? Do you use them? Are there any real concerns?

Finally, asking the more conservative part of the forum (DIR divers) - I know that DIR is generally against diving on computers but from what I know it is quite happy to use computers as bottom timers/gauge mode. Therefore, would it be against the principles if we just added one additional element (i.e. transmitter)?

All opinions highly welcome! :).

Best regards,
Theriel

You are absolutely correct in your statement of the advantages of the transmitter but I have had two Suunto transmitters and had linkage problems with both. I currently use a brass and glass pressure gauge with the Suunto Vytec wrist computer.

I like and use them. I haven't had the same link up problems as above. Sometimes it gets a little finnicky but it's never lost a dive for me.

I have a Vytec and it works very well with the transmitter. However, i still use a regular SPG as a backup in case the transmitter or computer go down. I recommend you do the same. I've never had the transmitter fail on a dive but you never know. I've got about 200 dives on it.

It really comes down to if the perks are worth the extra cost to you. In my case they are.

I have a transmitter as I like to see everything at one. But it is not big deal to remove it and use a B&G SPG. In either case I pretty much know where my gas is at.

Often you can find the transmitters being sold used so consider that route.

As for the sync issues only twice.

My husband uses a transmitter with his Vytec, but he does periodically have problems getting it to sync. He does not depend on it, and has another pressure gauge. I think it's an expensive convenience.

I haven't had a problem with my transmitter either. I have a Vytec DS and a D9 and with the transmitter it gives you a wealth of information on your dive profile and during the dive. Additionally I also have an oceanic VT Pro computer with transmitter.

For me Air integrated hoseless computer are the only way to dive which I have been doing for 12+ years.

I have had no problems with my transmitter. I use it with a Vyper Air and/or Vytec. I also use a SPG as backup. It is not that I don't trust the transmitter, but rather that I want the backup for information this critical. Just like I have redundant gas supply, regulators, computers, etc...

I have the Vyper Air with transmitter and no trouble with it working correctly with the transmitter. Today the battery reported it was low and needs to be replaced, considering the battery is intended to be replaced after 200 dives or 2 years gives an idea of what sort of use I have had with it less than a year.

Like most other posters here I have no issues with my Suunto transmitter. I use it with a D9 and backup SPG (pressure & depth).

I would also recommend a bottom timer and waterproof dive tables, especially if you do deco or long (30min+) recreational dives. A backup SPG only is nearly useless if DC fail. You need dive time info and dive tables as reference point.

Are they accurate? Do you use them? Are there any real concerns?

I like the transmitter on my Vytec DS. An expensive convenience, perhaps. But I didn't get into diving to save money.

~400 dives and I have never had a sync issue with it other than "user error" once or twice early on.

I do back it up with an SPG on tech dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom