2nd Suunto to die in the space of 3 weeks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Am I just unlucky?

First a D4 went erratic and started giving incorrect depths/temps/NDLs. Left it soaking in hot water, gave it a good flush but to no avail. That went back the shop.

Then today, the D6 went off the charts. Stuck in Dive Mode, but have zero data, apart from the depth time that's still ticking away.

...is this just a coincidence, or do these D series have known issues?

Sorry I can't help with the D series, but I have been happy with my Vytec and Vyper Air. I hope you get to the bottom of this, and keep us posted on how it works out.

Left it soaking in hot water, gave it a good flush but to no avail./QUOTE]

Just curious, How much of this soaking and flushing happened Before it quit?

Left it soaking in hot water, gave it a good flush but to no avail./QUOTE]

Just curious, How much of this soaking and flushing happened Before it quit?

They were both rinsed after every dive, not soaked in hot water, but run through with cold water.

I need another ASAP, I'm looking at the Uwatec. We used to have an Aladin Air, lasted nearly ten years without hiccup, only problem was the battery ran out!

Still no reply from Suunto.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. I'm really starting to believe that you must soak these to get the salt out,
and that a large number of sensor failures are salt related.
The sensor is rather small and can trap water. It's very possible a 'rince' doesn't get the job done.

That's what I thought. I'm really starting to believe that you must soak these to get the salt out,
and that a large number of sensor failures are salt related.
The sensor is rather small and can trap water. It's very possible a 'rince' doesn't get the job done.

hmmm.. an instructor friend had the same symptoms on his D6 and it ended up being sensor damage due to crystallised salt.

Not ideal really when you work in the dive industry, you don't have time to soak it in hot water after every dive.

I'm a bit peeved that the D4 just threw erratic data, very dangerous. It was reporting false depths!!

Just looking at the Uwatec Luna, I can't have this happen again.

Back
Top Bottom