Which split fins are neutrally buoyant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've lost some weight this year only to discover that my legs are no longer buoyant, they sink! So now my Apollo split fins are way too heavy for me unless I'm wearing a full wetsuit.

Can anyone tell me if the Atomic splits or the newer ScubaPro Twin Jets (the narrow ones) are neutral or even a bit buoyant?

I've lost some weight this year only to discover that my legs are no longer buoyant, they sink! So now my Apollo split fins are way too heavy for me unless I'm wearing a full wetsuit.

Can anyone tell me if the Atomic splits or the newer ScubaPro Twin Jets (the narrow ones) are neutral or even a bit buoyant?

SCUBAPro twin jets are very slightly positive. It's just enough to eventually float to the surface, but not enough that you would notice underwater. Don't know about the others.

However before replacing your fins, you might want to re-check your weighting and possibly re-adjust your tank position.

Terry

Atomic Smoke on the Water have positive buoyancy. Because of that I'm looking at Hollis F1's.

Rich

I have a pair of Clear Blue XL Atomic splits. They were a touch + before I put on the steel straps, now they are just about neutral. It takes them about half a minute to float up to the surface from about 6'

I have Tusa's (they sink), Mares (they really sink) and Apollo (sort of like wearing ankle weights)... The only ones I know that float are the Atomic's..

As a side note, the Tusa and the Mares look somewhat similar, but have absolutely nothing in common. The Mares make Jets seem overly flexible, and they are the best frog kick fins I have every used (maybe 15 different types over the years). The Tusa's are just a small amount stiffer than the apollo's.

I believe the SP Seawing Novas are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom