Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Diving Buddy

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (tell me about them)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoBayDiver

Reaction score
I was absolutly freaked out when my local (within eighty miles) divemaster and dive club told me during a telephone q&a session, that I would need to "pre-register" for a class before information about materials used in their class, equipment needed, or personell credentials, or even if they used NAUI or PADI instruction for their classes. They required a nominal fee for that information, after which a pre-screening test would be given to assure the instructors that I, "wasn't going to waste their time".
Now of course I am not going to use them, I will go ahead and look for one a little closer to the larger lakes in Northern Vermont. But what hurts is the fact that they have ruined it for me since it was my wife that was unsure if she wanted to try scuba. She was so turned off, and put on the defensive that she will not think of testing for at least a year or so. (That's a year that I'm gonna' be lookin' for a divin' buddy).
I trust that it isn't an industry standard to handle each potential customer with such harsh hands. And I hope that the idiots that use these tactics realize that I and others like me will spend our hundreds if not thousands of dollars elsewhere, and wome of us won't be afraid to travel over eighty miles for good service.
Let me know what you think

MoBayDiver once bubbled...
They required a nominal fee for that information, after which a pre-screening test would be given to assure the instructors that I, "wasn't going to waste their time".

Please let us in the NELD forum know what shop this was, so we know to never go there.

They don't want you to waste their time? That's why you interview prospective instructors... So they don't waste _your_ time.

There's a shop about 6 blocks from me. I've bought a few small items from them but...

I regularly drive over 60 miles each way to a shop I DM for sometimes on weekends... There's a second shop about 30 miles in almost the exact opposit direction that I do my tech training through as the first one only offers up to DM certs (but it does up to that quite well) and plans to offer further certs in the future. They are currently working on getting all the details for a tech program and getting instructors, etc ironed out.

Eventualy, I'll most likely DM that for the tech program as well, but I want to do quite a bit more diving at those levels myself before I think about assisting anyone teaching them.

Sounds like you just got a crappy experience from a LDS...do not give up my friend there are plenty better shops out there, especially in the NE area from what I have seen posted here.

Try to convice your wife (but don't push) that not all LDSs have boneheads that answer the phone. You just ran into one bad dude.

Good luck, and I hope to hear trip reports from you one day.

-T

MoBayDiver once bubbled...
I was absolutly freaked out when my local (within eighty miles) divemaster and dive club told me during a telephone q&a session, that I would need to "pre-register" for a class before information about materials used in their class, equipment needed, or personell credentials, or even if they used NAUI or PADI instruction for their classes. They required a nominal fee for that information, after which a pre-screening test would be given to assure the instructors that I, "wasn't going to waste their time".
Now of course I am not going to use them.... I trust that it isn't an industry standard to handle each potential customer with such harsh hands. And I hope that the idiots that use these tactics realize that I and others like me will spend our hundreds if not thousands of dollars elsewhere, and some of us won't be afraid to travel over eighty miles for good service.
Let me know what you think

MoBay.

As one who has been involved in the diving industry on a professional level for a long time now, and on behalf of my many friends who own and operate very good Local Dive Stores, I'd like to offer my apology for your bad experience.

I am sure that, in the time you have operated your B&B, you have noted people trying to do the same, of whom you have said: "I could do it a LOT better than that!"

As in every business realm, there are some who do things better than others. Those who do business in the way you describe get exactly the response they deserve. As you have stated, and DC4, and others on this forum, you will now go out of your way to stay out of their way!!!:wink: :wink:

Our shop does require that prospective students review the medical requirements and, if needed, obtain a physician's clearance prior to enrolling in a course. We refuse to take any money or confirm a spot in a class until this is done.

Prior to instituting this policy, we took bookings from folks who assured us they are "perfectly healthy." Then some would invariably have multiple medical conditions for which a physcian's clearance was required. Sometimes clearance could not be obtained before the scheduled start of the class, so those students would be denied instruction at that time. Disappointment all around.

Going over these requirements is not a waste of our time. We would prefer that students understand the expectations up front. Still, there are a few folks that we discourage from taking scuba classes due to medical conditions, whether temporary or permanent.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
...Sometimes clearance could not be obtained before the scheduled start of the class, so those students would be denied instruction at that time. Disappointment all around.

I don't think PADI prevents the academic portion from be delivered prior to the release....don't have the GSP handy.

but then it is a huge bummer if the medical release doesn't come through for whatever reason. I see a lot of medicals and can predict with reasonable accuracy whether a doctor will sign off, but on rare occasion I get a surprise.

Then, from a business perspective, we'd prefer to sell that slot in the class to someone who we know can participate. It's a sign that business is good when we have more prospective students than spaces in our classes. We don't want to turn people away while we are hoping for someone else's medical to come back.

I want to thank you all for your input. I especially relate to the fact that the "business" end of my training, requires a certain amount of efficency and standard setting by the instructors. But I also offer that at no time was my intent to waste mine or their time or effort. In the business of selling a service, you must always treat the next customer as if they are going to make or break that days business.
I have however found a dive shop about ninety miles away, a bit of a travel, but worth it for the attitudes of the instructors and owners. I hope to have some lesson questions or answers soon.
Again, thanks for your help.
:chef:

It took medical1 forever to get me to commit...
We were going to go to a shop that we frequent for our other hobby. I was not interested in the person who headed this area. (though now he treats me like gold) I just did not feel comfortable with him at all!! We went to all the shops around even those that would take an hour to get to...Finally we found a shop that the instructor was knowledgable, good, personable, and best of all we clicked (it wasn't too far either)!!! I also decided because I was so stand-offish I would prefer private classes so that I could go at my own pace without interupting a class or being forced to learn it on the way...Perhaps talk to your wife about this concept..I personaly would suggest private lessons to everyone, I feel the small ammount extra you are paying is well worth it since my LIFE and BUDDIE'S depended on it....I am still aprehensive to do a dives that use a technique I learned but have yet to use (I quickly find that comfort and want to it again)...With each dive I grew more and more confident, be sure to find the shop that is right for you. Be patient if she really wants to dive she will be ready!! :)
Now that I said that, For weeks now I have been the one to push to dive every weekend...We also sail and it has taken somewhat of a back seat lately...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom