Is Bikini Atoll Open For Diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Having a hard time finding out if in fact, Bikini Atoll is open for diving?? Some say yes, some say no. Does anyone know for sure???

I had heard it was reopening, but when I asked on SB (this thread), nobody else had heard anything.

This thread suggests that there is a trip being planned there, but it is not a general thing.

I suspect that it is all idle talk, and it will be 2011 at least before it reopens. I can wait. I am a patient man.

Yeah, I saw that, but I also saw:

I remember you referencing the website several months ago when the subject was being discussed. Where did the rumor of operations cranking up come from? Note in bottle or carved message on coconut wash up ashore? :D Yes, I am delirious from a long week...

The important parts:

Bikini is allowing certain types of vessels to visit Bikini Atoll and dive on the wrecks provided definitive prior arrangements are made with Bikini Atoll Divers.

These vessels or yachts must be completely self-contained, and must include:

*adequate international communications equipment

*housing, dining facilities, and supplies (all food, water, medical equipment, etc)

*all equipment needed to fill tanks and take care of divers, including any nitrox, oxygen or specialized medical equipment

*preferably have a helicopter for medical evacuation purposes

During such visits our local government will send along a diver and up to two Local Government Council representatives--at the vessel owner's expense--to make sure that no artifacts are removed from the ships.

If you want more information regarding this kind of expedition, please contact: bikinijack@gmail.com

So, if you have the funds to have your own ship w helicopter and are willing to give 3 "officals" a free paid vacation you can dive the wrecks.

by the time (if ever) Bikini opens back up to diving, the whole purpose of going there (wrecks) will be ancient history and the ships will have deteriorated/dissolved into rust-colored stains on the bottom...but maybe the place will be a mecca for the recreational/ pretty fishies crowd by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom