LDS says My Torus 26 doesnt have enough LIFT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buds

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all

I recently purchased a Torus26 (DSS) wing and was told by my LDS it would NOT provide sufficent lift for my configuration and that I needed atleast a 30. I dive DRY (FLEX 50/50), Farber 85 LP Steel single, DSS Steel medium BP and use Xscuba weight pockets. I weight approx 165lbs, and Dive Salt Water (New Jersey) except for Fresh water Training.

Of course floating the rig on the surface was a concern to My LDS, what also was mentioned was the concern of a "Catastropic Dry Suit Failure,, I was Under the Impression "Catastropic Dry Suit Failure" was not a reality.

Any ideas as to my perception that my Tourus 26 is sufficent is ok with my configuration??? How can i configure my Rig to be able to use the Torus26 Safely??

Or am I all WET??????

How much weight do you need to sink yourself in just your dry suit and heaviest undergarment? How much weight are you putting in the weight pockets?

If your only worry is about floating the rig (and you *know* the 30# wing works), just move 4# off the weight pockets and onto a weight belt.

An LP85 with a decent fill is about 8lbs negative. The BP and other equipment another 8lbs. I know nothing of drysuits but I am guessing Tobin will say it's adaquate...

As Rainer mentioned, to determine the minimum amount of lift for your wing, we'd have to know how much lead is attached to your rig and what the positive buoyancy is of just you in your drysuit + heaviest undergarments.

A full Faber LP85 is 6.7 lbs. negatively buoyant (assuming a fill to the rated service pressure). Combined with a 2 lb. reg and 6 lb. BP, you should still be able to attach approx. 10 lbs. of lead to your rig and still have it float (without you in it). If you are attaching more than 10 lbs. of lead to your BP/W, then, as Rainer suggested, you could shift some of that weight to your person in the form of a weight belt or weight harness. Note that shifting such weight may have a significant effect on your static trim.

The wing should also be able to compensate for maximal loss of buoyancy of your exposure protection -- in your case, this would be a catastrophic drysuit flood. FWIW, one must take a catastrophic drysuit flood into consideration. It's never happened to me, but it can happen.

There is a lot of argument, though, about exactly how much lift you lose with a flood. Some types of insulation are likely to retain some loft, even when very wet. I would not want to push it, though -- but remember, you CAN swim up against some negative force. It's once you get to the surface that you have a problem. (As the victim of a fairly significant flood, I know this. However, I WAS able to hold some air in the suit on the surface, in the proper attitude.).

I'd like to hear tobin chime in on this.
I don't see a problem with the 26 in this configuration.
What say you tobin ?

I would enjoy hearing Tobin's comments as well. Unless you need a really large amount of lead to sink a 26 lb wing should be plenty for you.

Peace,
Greg

Unless you need a really large amount of lead to sink a 26 lb wing should be plenty for you.
Indirectly, having a greater lead requirement implies that the exposure suit is more positively buoyant. It's common for a drysuit + undergarment to have approx. 24 lbs. of positive buoyancy. That's getting pretty close to the 26 lb. maximal lift of the OP's wing.

It will be interesting to learn how much total lead the OP uses. As it stands right now, at the end of his dive, an empty Faber L85 is neutral and he has approx. 8 lbs. of other ballast (6 lbs. BP + 2 lbs. reg). Given these parameters, I wouldn't be surprised if the OP wears an additional 16 lbs. or more of lead. If it's 16 lbs. of lead, I'd recommend putting 8 lbs. in the tank camband pockets and wearing the other 8 on a weight belt. Hopefully, that arrangement gives him pretty good static trim. This configuration would also allow his wing to provide enough lift to keep the rig afloat, since mounting anymore weight than 10-11 lbs. in tank camband weight pockets would be too much for a 26 lb. wing.

what also was mentioned was the concern of a "Catastropic Dry Suit Failure,, I was Under the Impression "Catastropic Dry Suit Failure" was not a reality.

A catastrophic drysuit failure is entirely possible. I see several (in water) every year and dozens that happen while donning the suit. Neck seals tear, seams rip open (the crotch is especially prone to this on older or heavily used suits) and this isn't even counting diver-induced damage from contact with sharp stuff.

Of course floating the rig on the surface was a concern to My LDS,

You already own this stuff, why don't you just go toss it in the water with a full tank and see if it floats? An actual test is much more reliable than anybody's back-of-the-napkin estimate.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom