Kinda concerned.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBaby

Contributor
Reaction score
Over the past week I have been having a conversation with another diver via email.

Hes say hes a writer and also has plans in making an underwater video and wants me to play a part as he read one of my profiles and heard I enjoy writing and seen a pic and feels i would be ideal for the part...however, I cant help to hesitate for the simple fact this could be an axe-murder for all I know!

Is it normal for people to get approached like this in diving???

Hes about to send me the scripts and music tracks etc he is planning and has gone into a bit of detail as to what he wants from me in the video....it all sounds ok but how do i know thats whats going to happen.

I know this is not really all that diving related but it is to some degree and I thought you'd all be the best people to ask!

Originally posted by ScubaBaby
Over the past week I have been having a conversation with another diver via email.

Hes say hes a writer and also has plans in making an underwater video and wants me to play a part as he read one of my profiles and heard I enjoy writing and seen a pic and feels i would be ideal for the part...however, I cant help to hesitate for the simple fact this could be an axe-murder for all I know!

Is it normal for people to get approached like this in diving???

Hes about to send me the scripts and music tracks etc he is planning and has gone into a bit of detail as to what he wants from me in the video....it all sounds ok but how do i know thats whats going to happen.

I know this is not really all that diving related but it is to some degree and I thought you'd all be the best people to ask!

I would personally be a little leary of this. Although it could be as simple as it sounds. If this is a person on here, I would see if he has met anyone and what they have to say. If it is someone who is not vocal on here, and basically unknown I would be cautious.

You might find out more about where he is, what dive shop he goes to, probe to see how much he really knows about diving to see if he is blowing smoke up your wetsuit. If he is part of a club, you might join anonymously and see what they are saying is he well liked, does he dive with them a lot etc.

And last but not least if you become the first diving superstar, remember my advice didn't mean sqaut and still send me a commission.

Good luck and above all be safe!

Syruss
http://www.coraladventures.net

Lessee....

Normal for an old, average looking, cranky, guy like me to get approached to be a "star" in an upcomming flick.....NO

Normal for a young, very attractive, outgoing lady like yourself to get approached from a potentially unsavory "movie director" to make a movie.... yeah happens all the time. Not uncommon for the movies to be clothing optional.

Becareful Abby... we love ya around here.

Tom

......ScubaBaby, be real careful. Do some reference checks on this guy. Also if you do connect with this guy have a couple of people with you . If I could make it over there I would be happy to represent you as your agent. He He

The investment firm I am associated with here deals with many sports and movie stars. Maybe we could hook up.

But really seriously, please please be careful. The world has already lost enough. We cannot lose another beautiful person.

Butch :peace:

Abby,
Is this man in the UK., like you are? Has he posted on this board for some time? You need to know a lot more before meeting with him. Another topic on this board talks about how everyone feels like we're all " Life long friends". I think this is different for women then men, Abby. To me everyone is a 'cyber' friend until I meet them in person. There is a big difference. Sorry.
:sunny:

If you decide to meet this guy take Belushi with you and get him to give him a grilling. If he's genuine he wont mind - if he's not I would'nt want to see whats left of him when he's been "Belushied".

Thanks for all the comments.....Belushi doesnt know about it yet - i was going to talk to him about it this evening...but it looks like he'll probably read this before I get to talk to him!

Mitch - the gentleman whos made this offer, lives in Yorkshire I think - if memory serves me right, and even tho I live very far from here has offered to pay all my expenses on getting there. I am also not sure whether he is a member of this board or not.

I am very wearly of people on the net (even on scubaboard) cause i do agree with Natasha in the fact it is different for women to just randomly meet people as we are more vunerable for attacks etc. I used to have AOL so I am used to Instant Messages asking to meet...it just isnt safe!

The idea about joining his dive club is a good one, just not viable with the distance...oh well...if it comes to it i will just ignore it from now on! Have to become a star another way lol!?

You are a star to us already, so now that you are there you can pick and choose if you wish to shine more, or just be our starlett.

Originally posted by ScubaBaby
I am very wearly of people on the net (even on scubaboard) cause i do agree with Natasha in the fact it is different for women to just randomly meet people as we are more vunerable for attacks etc. I used to have AOL so I am used to Instant Messages asking to meet...it just isnt safe!

as others have said - be safe, take a friend, meet in a neutral place, check references. Taking a chance is not worth the potential hazard you might face.

I am now way to scared to even consider it hehe xxxxx

I think I will stick to stardom of washing and ironing for now!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom