Question of HD100 lift capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

antonb

Registered
Reaction score
I have just purchaed an HD100 and the quality of the product looks great.

However I have noticed that the label on the cummerbund says it has a rated lift of 38Lbs. Information on the manufacturer's web site says the lift for an extra large should be 45Lbs.

Does anybody know a reason for the discrepancy?

I am meant to be going to the Red Sea next week and am concerned about taking this BCD if the lif is not enough,

Thank you

What are you diving? Al tanks, doubles, big steel singles? How much weight are you carrying? I dive a 30lb wing wet and dry with single tanks including steel 95's. More than enough lift. My doubles wing has 50lbs of lift and I'd be ok with any set of doubles.

You only need enough lift to float the rig itself. You can dump your weightbelt if using one or the pockets at the surface. Unless you are carrying 20lbs of weight and a tank that is 20lbs negative 38 is enough. If you have more than 30 lbs in the bc something is off. I tell students to never put all their weight on the bc if they are using more than say 14-16 lbs. Have enough somewhere that you can ditch 2-4 lbs and still control your ascent.

I have just purchaed an HD100 and the quality of the product looks great.

However I have noticed that the label on the cummerbund says it has a rated lift of 38Lbs. Information on the manufacturer's web site says the lift for an extra large should be 45Lbs.

Does anybody know a reason for the discrepancy?

I am meant to be going to the Red Sea next week and am concerned about taking this BCD if the lif is not enough,

Thank you

Hi Anton,

The label information on the cummerbund assembly relating to lift is part of our CE requirement to sell in Europe. CE test criteria measures actual lift of the bladder only, not taking into account the inherent buoyancy of the materials including the jacket. While CE determined the bladder alone was rated for 38-40lbs. of lift, the entire BC using standard lift criteria came to 45lbs.

How much lift is required largely depends on your additional gear, tank availability and exposure suit, however anything over 40-45lbs for a single tank application is typically overkill.

Hope that helps :wink:

Thanks all for your replies.

Typical government bureaucracy!

The more I look atthe BCD the more Impressed I am with the quality. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations in the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom